Decision Day Is Fast Approaching, So Allow Me To Share My Experience

Thank you, Mom, for encouraging me to apply and knowing me better than I know myself.

3097
Audrey Capra

Decision day is fast approaching for high school seniors from the class of 2018. As I watched my little brother decide what college would become his home for the next four years, I was reminded of my own experience choosing Texas A&M.

Anybody who knew me during my high school years knew I was dead set on leaving the state for college. If you would have told me that in the coming years, not only would I stay in Texas, but I would attend a school in a town I didn't really think existed (no joke, I thought College Station was a made up place, or at least a nickname for Texas A&M), I wouldn't have believed you.

When it came time for me to apply for schools, I took my mom's advice and applied to a few schools in Texas, just in case I decided I wanted to stay close to home. Texas A&M was not initially on this list, but after my parent's friends (all Aggies by the way), convinced my parents to convince me to apply, I begrudgingly agreed.

What happened next should be more than enough proof to always listen to your mom, and that your parents know you better than literally anybody else:

Even though I thought there was no way I was going to attend Texas A&M, my mom encouraged me to visit the school, saying "You applied, you should visit and just give it a chance."

I'm usually one to keep an open mind, but when it came to Texas A&M, I was not having it. In fact, when my mom and I were in Caldwell (30 min outside of College Station), I just about begged her to turn around, complaining that I really didn't want to visit because I wasn't going to go there.

There are so many things I can and should thank my mom for, but her telling me "No! We're in the middle of nowhere we are NOT turning around", is definitely one of the biggest.

During the tour, I was stunned to see how genuinely kind and welcoming everybody was. When I had toured other campuses, no matter how great they were, I felt anxious and nervous, feelings I don't usually get. However, walking around A&M, I felt so comfortable and calm. It felt like I was walking around my own house, and it felt like home within my first two minutes of being there.

It didn't take long for me to realize that A&M was the perfect place for me. Everything about it encompassed everything I could ever want in a university. Even though it took me six months to stop being scared and finally commit to A&M, I knew within five minutes of being on campus that this was the place I would call home for the next four years.

Now that I am registering for my 5th semester at A&M, I am happier than ever. I know I made the right choice and I have never once regretted my decision to further my education in College Station.