My Sophomore Year Of College Was Cut Short, But I'm Lucky I Get To Go Back

My Sophomore Year Of College Was Cut Short, But Unlike The Seniors, I'm Lucky I Get To Go Back

Live in the moment, that's all we can do.

911

Who would've thought that the last week of my sophomore year would happen without me even realizing it? I think that seems to be the case for most people all over the world for different reasons — who really saw this coming?

At this point I am met with an amalgamation of emotions: sadness over lost time and opportunity, anxiety about what the future holds for me and my family, impatience over when this will all stop, the list goes on.

I guess one could argue that this article is an attempt at gaining “closure" (if that is truly attainable at all) but it may be to help me better cope with what is to come, and that is the real question. No one seems to have any answers to how the near or far future will pan out after this global crisis, and that seems to be the ultimate threat.

So, with this, I will do what I planned to do in May but better get started on now, and that's reflecting on this year.

What a ride it was. I made new lifelong friends and grew apart from old relationships that were holding me back. I declared my major and minors and finally gained some clarity around what I think I want my future to look like. I made some bad decisions and some really good ones. I tried new things and had the best time I've had yet.

What I have learned from this global pandemic madness is that we can't waste a minute of the experiences we're lucky enough to have in the first place.

Even though I had a great, wonderful year, I regret the times I did spend frustrated, upset, worried, or anything else of the sort. Considering I can't remember one single reason I would've felt that way this year at all, it shows that those moments were more or less a waste of time. I'd do anything to finish school back in Madison with my people and I'd be sure to make the most of each minute if we got that opportunity.

These are natural feelings, but ultimately in our control. Had I known two months of college would be slashed for me, I would've seized the day. But, that isn't the case, and events such as what is going on in life right now don't come with warnings. So, it is our responsibility to live in the moment, be grateful, and avoid taking things for granted.

I've learned through this that I should've seized the day regardless.

I'm so thankful for the experiences I had this year and for everyone who elevated my life to the next level. Something positive will come out of this, for all of us.