Poetry On Odyssey: No One Told Me College Was Going To Break Me Down

I am tired of living in fear. I don't want to shed any more tears.

120
Tom Pumford

I wrote this poem to express the emotional rollercoaster that I am facing in college. It has not been an easy road to go through, but I am almost at the end. I wanted to show in this poem that things you hear about college are the things that you want to hear. However, you never hear the struggles and obstacles that you are going to face on your journey.

No one told me it would be this way.

They told me I'd be in class all day

and get lit on the weekends like it's my birthday.

No one told me that I was going to fail a class,

But that I will do fine and pass.

The hourglass is ticking,

So no time for sitting.

I am tired of living in fear.

I don't want to shed any more tears.

I hope that today I won't miss a meal

Because this body isn't made of steel.

But let's talk mental.

This is something we can't just cancel.

I want to make sure I don't dismantle

and leave others feeling sorrowful.

I feel depressed, insecure, and vulnerable.

The thoughts in my head make me uncomfortable,

But I have been getting better though.

It's time to change gears into high-speed

Because this college diploma is something that I need.

Prepare for the unexpected and never give up. You may know what is to come, but you do not know how it is going to affect you until you experience it. When times are tough, seek the help and support that you need if the resources are there. Make sure that you are healthy: mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. At the end of the day, it is your life, and you make your own decisions. College students, or students to be; stay motivated and committed. Once you give up in life, you give up your worth. Be the best that you can be to make it out in the end.