Starting College Was Better Than Anything I Expected Or Imagined
Friendships

College Isn't Anything Like I Expected, It's Better Than Anything I Could've Imagined

What can I say? I love it.

59

A month ago, I was sitting in the back of my parents' minivan surrounded by everything I needed to move into my dorm and more. I hadn't met my roommates yet, and I still wasn't totally positive about what classes I would be taking when they did eventually started a week later.

I was terrified, as most freshmen are. I knew that pretty much everyone was feeling the same way I was, but that didn't help the fact that I was literally shaking at times. I couldn't sleep at all the night before move-in.

We stayed at a hotel, since moving into Hofstra involved a five-hour drive from our suburb in Pennsylvania. I've never wanted a road trip to end more in my life. Throughout the drive, every single possible worst-case scenario played in my head about a million times.

What if I couldn't find ANY of my classes? What if I couldn't keep up? What if I didn't get along with my roommates? Will I ever get to study abroad like I've been planning to?

I have the tendency to expect the worst from every situation. So, when I got to my residence hall and my RA showed me my suite (which is the biggest in the hall since it's in the corner) and all my roommates showed up, all my nerves went away.

Suddenly, I was way too excited to be nervous. We were all super busy setting everything up, meeting other students and getting acclimated to our new home.

Thinking back to how terrified I was when I moved in honestly seems a little bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong. Nothing turned out the way I expected it to, but it honestly turned out way better than I could have hoped.

First of all, welcome week felt like it lasted about three years. It was just freshmen on campus for about three or four days before all the upperclassmen showed up, so we had all that time to figure out campus and get introduced to everything. Between all of the meetings, seminars and socials, I didn't have time to think about whether or not I was acclimated to campus. It just happened naturally.

So many people expect to go to college and meet their forever friends immediately — to have this big group that feels like they've been a part of it for forever.

Everyone has always told me that college is so much better than high school. I've always been told that I'm going to do well, and that there was no way that I couldn't succeed in higher education.

That terrifies me. But also, it's so true — just not in the way that you'd think.

I love my roommates. The four of us have become like our own little family, complete with a Build-A-Bear we created at the mall by campus who's our child and participates in all of our activities with us.

However, we don't have that big group of friends that always eats and walks to class together and goes out on weekends. We do all of that stuff, but it's a big campus, so it's hard to find 10 people you vibe with during your first month in a new city.

I was a little disappointed, if I'm being honest. I thought college was where everything was supposed to be fun all the time. I thought I'd get to laugh with my friends and we'd be like a big community.

And everything is fun all the time, but in a different way. I'm not going out all the time with my friends, but I'm staying in with my roommates, doing face masks and watching stand up in our living room. And it's 10 times better than anything I could have ever imagined.

My best friends don't just live on the same campus as I do. We live in the same room together. It's so much fun all the time. I honestly couldn't imagine it any other way.

Right now, I have my people, and I'm so happy about it. It wasn't where I expected them to be, but it's way better than I could ever have imagined.