An Open Letter to my Friend Transferring Schools
Education

A Farewell to My Best Friend

Thank you for everything.

342
A Farewell to My Best Friend

You asked me for months to write an article about you, but I never really knew how to capture everything I wanted to say. Now, after the past few weeks, I think I can muster up a few words.

We both know it's difficult to say goodbye to everyone after your first year in college. You've finally made new friends, people who don't simply hang out with you just for convenience like many do in high school. Of course you don't want to say goodbye, but you know that in a few brutal three months, you'll be reunited on campus.

But for you, as we both know, that's not the case. I'm so proud of you for being brave enough to transfer to another school, to start over again so you can pursue your dreams.

I just want to start off by saying that I am so grateful for our friendship. You were one of the first people I met on campus, and we instantly clicked because of our love for marching band and classical piano. As someone who was extremely nervous about making new friends at a place that was so far away from my home, you made the process much easier. It was my first day at school and I already felt like I belonged somewhere during our brief, awkward conversations.

I don't know how it happened, but within just a few weeks, we were hanging out almost every day. We had a routine schedule for getting lunch together, talking about our music ensembles and the organizations on campus that we wanted to be a part of. You pushed me to apply for clubs I felt apprehensive to join, you encouraged me to go out of my comfort zone and try something new.

We branched out socially, but through everything, we remained a team. Eventually, you introduced me to a group of wonderful people that I am so fortunate to now call my best friends. We were all able to grow stronger as a collective unit and as individuals. Thanks to your friendly, outgoing personality, everyone always feels included.

When you told me you were considering transferring, it felt like some cheap joke. I hoped you were kidding, I hoped that even if you did put in applications, you would change your mind. You wouldn't actually leave. I kept coming up with reasons for you to stay: the weather here is so nice, you've accomplished so much academically, it's too hard to start over. I knew leaving was best for you, but I selfishly didn't entirely care.

I felt this occasional rush of panic when I would remember your pending applications for the past few weeks. Of course, the majority of the fear was just anticipation; I really did want you to get into your dream schools. You're intelligent, you're impressive, I was well aware you would get into any school of your choice. But, a tiny part of me just wished you would revoke everything and change your mind, not even give yourself the option of leaving.

You told me about your acceptance letter, and although you said you still had to think everything over, I knew you had your mind made up. I knew it was just too hard to talk about out loud, and we tip-toed around each other for a few days. The question always lurked in the back of my throat, burning to come out and ask you to just tell me the truth. I felt a subtle sense of defeat like if I had tried hard enough, I could have convinced you to stay. You and I both know you never do anything anyone else tells you to do, though. Sometimes it comes off as stubborn, but I know that you just won't take any shit from anyone.

The thought of saying goodbye to you seems virtually impossible. It's saying goodbye to memories: studying together at the library, teasing you for your "balanced diet" of chicken fingers and French fries, our off-key duets of Britney Spears songs. It was only a year of friendship, but I truly feel like I've known you for so much longer.

I'm so confident in your abilities, and I know you are going to thrive no matter where you are. I'm always here supporting you in everything you do, and I know you can say the same for me.

Thank you for making my first year in college one of the best years of my life. You may not be here next year, but we still have so many memories to come. I love you, Brian. Good luck.