3 Helpful Tips For The College-Aged Parent

Survival tips for the parent who is pursuing higher education.

441
Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash

Most people think of college students as young and free, but that isn't the reality for you. Maybe you were hit with an unexpected pregnancy your sophomore year. Maybe you were a young mom, and now you’ve decided to go back to school. No matter what your circumstances, you’re joining the ranks of a growing tribe of parents who are also college students.

Raising kids and going to college.

4.8 million college students are currently raising children. That amounts to over a quarter of all undergraduate students.

If you were a regular college student without kids, you would simply wake up in the morning, toss your things into your backpack, and head off to class. As a mom, you have an entirely different routine to follow. Aside from getting your kids up and ready for daycare, you also have to figure out a way to get yourself ready and keep your mind focused on your upcoming day of classes. It’s a lot to balance.

Unfortunately, despite the growing need for parenting resources at college campuses, on-campus childcare services seem to be dropping. Up to 54 percent of four-year public colleges offered childcare in 2002. In 2013, it had dropped to 51 percent. Two-year colleges experienced an even greater decline. This means that many college students are having to rely on friends and family to watch their kids while they’re in school, and if this isn’t an option, they might experience delays in education if their professors are not okay with them bringing their children to class.

If you do end up bringing your kids to class with you, it will be good to make sure to minimize your load as much as possible. You’ll need your books and laptop for class, but you’ll also need your diaper bag with all the necessities to take care of your children. It would be good to find an all-purpose faux leather backpack that can serve the purpose of a book bag and diaper bag all at once. Make sure you have quiet toys for them and snacks to entertain them while you’re trying to pay attention in class. Obviously, you’re going to need the necessary diapers and bottles and stuff too if your child is still young enough for those. Just make sure you’re prepared but you minimize what you bring so you’re not hauling three bags with you all day.

1. Build your support network

Maybe your school does offer childcare services, but that doesn’t mean you still don’t need a strong network of support. Everyone struggles on the journey through college, but this struggle can be particularly difficult for parents. You need understanding friends who are willing to support you, and if you’re not finding them among the typical college party crowd, you might want to seek out support groups for single parents. You’ll meet others in your exact situation, and you might be able to offer help to each other.

2. Be honest with your professors

Most professors will have a great deal of respect for a parent who is attempting to better themselves by getting an education. If you’re struggling to keep everything in balance and need a little extra time to make up for a missed assignment, let them know. Establishing a connection with your professor and explaining your situation early on will benefit you. If your babysitter backs out on you last minute, your professor may be okay with you bringing your child to class. Even though your professors may be understanding, this doesn’t mean you should expect special treatment. You’ll still have to make a strong effort to complete your coursework.

3. Make a realistic long-term plan

You’ve decided your major, but have you come up with a realistic plan for after you graduate? Always look ahead to the future to determine whether your chosen path will provide you the means to support yourself and your family. If you’re going to school for nursing, it’s safe to say you’ll always be able to find a job. If you’re going to school for literature, you’ll need to think more carefully about your plan. Will you find a teaching job? What else could you possibly do with your degree? New opportunities arise all the time, so stay open minded and always be adjusting your plan as you continue working on your education.

There will be times when you want to give up. College is hard, but if this is something you really want, you should commit to seeing it through. Not only will you be setting yourself up for a better future, but you’ll also be showing your kids that much can be accomplished when a person sets their mind to it.