Hey Little Sis, College Is Going To Be Great

College advice from big sisters to little sisters because college is hard, but it's so worth it.

175

Dear little sister, congratulations! College is some of the most fun I have ever had so far. It's pretty amazing being surrounded by amazing individuals that are motivated and care about you. You are going to do amazing things while you are at school. You have a ridiculous amount of potential and you have the skills to accomplish world-changing, earth-shattering feats. In order to do that, you might want a little bit of advice. I haven't learned much, but I have learned a little.

College isn't all about appearances, but they most certainly help. You should eat well, but don't say no to ice cream. Eat breakfast and throw in a little protein every day to make sure that you're doing your part to stay healthy. Make sure you wear something other than your pajamas to class and don't wear your lanyard around your neck. You will definitely feel better. Side note: people giggle a little when freshmen wear their lanyards. Make sure that you brush your teeth and take care of yourself. If you get sick, go to Student Health. If you need a flu shot, go to Student Health. If you are looking for nutrition advice, go to Student Health. They have a ton of resources that you pay for anyway, so use them!

With regards to class, there are just a few tips that I have. Make sure that you are considerate to each individual that is in your class. Don't type too loud or take up more than one seat in class. Honestly, you should probably not take courses before 10 a.m. because they can be difficult to motivate yourself to go to. If your class is reading-heavy, try reading ahead. Getting behind is not in your favor, but you also shouldn't stress either. Make a schedule and stick to it — it's extremely helpful for accomplishing projects and hitting deadlines. Check your email several times per day and always make sure to respond to professors. Not only do they expect a response, but they are often working for your benefit, so make sure you give them the thanks they deserve.

Outside of class, you should do your best to relax and have a blast. College is supposed to be pretty fantastic, so make sure you take advantage of it! That being said, you don't have to go out to a party to have fun. My friends and I do movies nights where we all get in our pajamas and watch comedies until we run out of snacks. Having fun is super important, but make sure you do some work too. Fill out a LinkedIn profile and apply for an internship or job on campus. You will be thankful that you started thinking about your future early.

A few random suggestions include doing your laundry in the mornings, keep your backpack light, carry your own whiteboard markers, get an oil diffuser, and try to keep a plant alive. There's definitely a learning curve you will hit once you get to college, but it doesn't have to shatter your world. Call Mom and Dad every once in a while and tell them about the cool stuff you're doing, then actually listen to their "glory day" stories. They appreciate the communication more than you know.

Little sis, college is awesome. I'm really excited about you embarking on this adventure in your life. If you need anything, you know I'm here for you.

Love your big sis!

P.S. WEAR YOUR SHOWER SHOES — bathroom floors are gross.