Why The College Admissions Process Needs A Reality Check

Someone save the seventeen-year-olds.

15
isuckasaparent.com

I have just finished the entire college admissions process and have had time to reflect on what these last couple months have brought.

I mark the beginning of my true college admissions process as the beginning of Junior year when I took the ACT for the first time. For many kids in my class, it began freshman year as they dedicated their next four years on getting into their dream school. I saw my friends breakdown and lose themselves trying to build a better resume for the universities they plan on applying to later in the year. None of my friends could truly relax in the summer because their college applications and essays loomed over their heads.

When the beginning of senior year came, I do not think I have ever been so busy in my life. I got accepted into my first college in October (because it was rolling admission I applied earlier) and the reality of it all hit me. I still had to apply to the rest of my schools and keep my grades up at the same time, while playing a Varsity sport. The November 1 deadline was fast approaching and I felt like I could not stop and enjoy my senior year. Once I submitted the rest of my applications, the waiting game began.

Through the next six months, I heard back from five more universities: three acceptances, one denial, one waitlist. In April, I began to tour the colleges I’ve been accepted to and realized that I had no idea what I wanted to do. I’m not even eighteen yet and I’m expected to pick out where the best college is for my future. I had just gotten waitlisted at what I thought was my number one choice and now I had one month to figure it all out. I eventually toured and found the place I want to be for the next four years, but the tears and all-nighters leading up to it I could have lived without.

Maybe the breakdowns and freakouts wouldn’t have happened if college admissions weren’t so competitive or maybe teens like me wouldn’t be so stressed about where they will end up if college acceptances and denials came earlier. I am only one of millions of kids that have to go through this insane system, but I think my experience is similar to many of them. The stress and uneasiness of it all is enough to eat any young adult alive.

I believe that, through personal experience, the college admissions process is messed up. I have seen girls and boys with almost perfect ACT scores, Valedictorian grades, and more impressive extracurricular activities than I can even imagine, get denied from schools. I know that Ivy League schools take the best of the best, but what happens to the kids that put their heart and soul into one school only to get denied? They go to another great school, but still have that pain and doubt that they are not good enough. I don’t know how the college admissions process can be fixed, but I hope that someone can figure it out before my future kids have to go through this system that sets expectations way too high for any teen.