Colin Kaepernick's Woes Aren't Because Of His National Anthem Protest

Many blame Kaepernick's woes on his anthem protest, but he is the lone struggler.

87
Au Kirk

During the 2016 NFL season, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was the subject of much attention due to his newfound "anthem protest."

Kaepernick was once a prominent starting quarterback in the National Football League, his meteoric rise to the top captured the curiosity of fans.

After starting quarterback Alex Smith went, Kaepernick filled in and earned the starting nod while Smith sat, even when healthy.

Kaepernick elevated the 49ers past the Seahawks and to the Super Bowl. His elusiveness and arm allowed for a deadly combination in a potent 49ers offense that would ultimately fall short by three points in Super Bowl XLVII.

The years following were not as kind to Kaepernick. After one more playoff season, the Kaeprnick led 49ers fell from the ranks of the elite, ultimately ending in the ousting of head coach Jim Harbaugh after the 2014 season.

In 2016, Kaepernick's anthem protest began, along with an ineffective season with the 49ers. Despite posting decent numbers, his season was dismal and he could not find a way to win.

A huge talking point concerning Kaepernick has been his struggle in the free agency following the 2016 season.

There are plenty of people that believe his anthem protest is distasteful, and he should not have a job anyway. Others believe he cannot find a job due to his inability to win last season.

The truth is a combination, but the majority most likely falls on his play, not based on numbers, but based on how much of an outlier he has become in the protesting of the national anthem.

Since his initial protest, numerous NFL players have joined in his fight for social justice.

All-Pro Cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks Richard Sherman has defended Kaepernick, and sees his unending free agency as the quarterback being wronged.

Yet, other players that have protested the anthem in some way still have jobs.

Malcom Jenkins, an All-Pro safety for the Philadelphia Eagles, raised his fist during the anthem for the majority of the 2016 season and has no plan to cease doing so.

Marshawn Lynch, who recently signed with the Raiders, sat during the anthem during the first week of the preseason, and the Raiders do not seem concerned in the least.

Michael Bennet, a defensive lineman for the Seahawks, is among those that have recently decided to sit for the anthem.

Brandon Marshall, a linebacker for the Denver Broncos, also recently sat for the anthem.

These are just a few players that have joined Kaepernick in his protest and search for social justice; those that claim racism is the fault for the absence of Kaepernick on a professional roster are dead wrong.

The difference between Colin Kaepernick and all these players is the current value they hold, and their future potential, along with past accolades.

Every player mentioned has won a Super Bowl, Kaepernick is the only one that is not in the champions club of the players. This may be selective choosing, but these players are as if not more prominent than Kaepernick, so if the issue was the activism, would that not hurt them?

Marcus Peters of the Chiefs, four separate Miami Dolphins players, Martellus Bennett and Devin McCourty of the Patriots have protested the anthem in some way.

Yet, none of these players have had trouble finding work. Their teams have not benched them, their coaches have not cared.

Colin Kaepernick remains the outlier, not just for his play, but his activism has gone from a call for justice to complete disrespect.

Last August, Kaepernick wore a Fidel Castro shirt to a game in Miami. His reasoning was he supported public education and the idea behind "free universal healthcare." Aside from the fact that Cuba has been atrocious at both those things under the Castro rule, wearing a shirt with his face to a historically Cuban city is absurdly offensive.

Moreover, his whole fight against the anthem is because of said United States oppression, the Castro regime is one of the deadliest and most oppressive regimes in the history of the world.

Kaepernick's antics have not helped him land a job, but his kneeling during the national anthem is absolutely not the reason he is out of a job.

His performance, along with his advocacy for and defense of Cuban Communism has led him to the road of unemployment.

Teams do not want a distraction at backup QB, and he is nothing better than a backup at the moment.

His advocacy has not been his downfall, rather his antics and plays on the field.