Colin Kaepernick Is Not A Hero

Colin Kaepernick, You Are No Hero, You Are A Coward Disrespecting America's Real Heroes

From a hurt, offended college girl.

1332
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colin_Kaepernick_in_Super_Bowl_XLVII_(cropped).jpg

Dear Colin Kaepernick, your choice of protest offends and hurts me.

I have a family history of American heroes. All of the men and women in my family who have served our great nation are heroes. Everyone who has served and will serve this great nation is a hero. You are not acting as a hero, but more of a coward that needs attention. Too many people think that throwing a ball makes someone a hero. I admit, I have played into what made you think this way. It isn't completely your fault that you think you are a hero. We as Americans have idolized men who play sports rather than the men who die for our freedom. I used to be an avid Tennessee Titans fan — my parents gave money to support the NFL that paid you.

Not anymore.

Not after the stir you caused.

Not after the biggest slap in the face to my country and the real heroes of America.

Dear Colin Kaepernick, you have disrespected my hero. My dad fought for your freedom to kneel. My dad slept in jungles hoping he would see another day, hoping and praying to come home to my mom. My dad, along with so many others, fought and bled and cried for the freedom of the country you so boldly have looked down on. My dad is the strongest and most selfless human I have ever met. My dad put his life on the line to fight for ungrateful people like you because he was looking at the greater good. He was and is proud to have served the greatest country in the world.

He was looking to protect the flag that we are blessed to call ours. The flag you have disrespected.

Dear Colin Kaepernick, the flag is not what you are fighting against. I am unsure of what you learned during history class, but I would love to enlighten you on what I have learned. The American flag was founded on freedom. Designed after our fight for freedom from Britain. Immortalized when we became united as a country. The red symbolizes hardness and valor, the white purity and innocence. Finally the blue, vigilance, perseverance, and justice. Justice.

The very flag you kneel against represents what you were fighting for.

I find it a bit dumb that you fought against the very thing you wanted rather than work alongside it. I bet you didn't think that far. I bet you didn't sit back and think about what the flag actually represented. You saw an opportunity for fame and ran with it.

Dear Colin Kaepernick, you need to find another outlet. I respect your freedom of speech, so please respect my flag that gave you that freedom. If you really wanted to make a difference in the lives of colored people, you would go straight to the sources that could provide immediate help. You would contact your local government and see what you could do. Send letters to the President voicing your concern. You would work side by side with civilians to make a change, not kneel for a flag that stands for justice.

There are tons of other ways to get your point across in a way that does not disrespect our flag. For example, you could use social media to speak out. You obviously have a following as you have raised such an uproar. You have such a large platform that could be used for good! I might not agree with everything you said, but I could have at least respected that you went about it in a classy manner. Instead, I have no respect for you. You could have gone about this in a way that did not disrespect my flag and my anthem. Instead, you chose to show out and have not done anything more to better the country that you think is so unjust.

Dear Colin Kaepernick, you have no idea how good you have it.

Getting paid to work out and play a game you love. Let that sink in. People are struggling all around the world to hold the smallest of jobs in order to feed their families. Many don't even have enough for a meal. Men and women in the military are lying in foxholes sacrificing their lives for very little pay…that is not their motivation, yet you will make, I imagine, millions for "sacrificing everything for something you believe in?" That doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to me. If this country disgusts you so much, you should leave.

Have you checked immigration statistics lately?

Have you watched the news?

Why would so many people rush to a country that oppresses?

Did you think that far before you knelt?

I know that millions of people would gladly step in and take your spot. Not only would they take your spot, but I bet they would cherish and respect your spot. You have been beyond blessed to be born in America. A nation where you can wake up and disrespect it until your face turns blue. Did you know that in China if you disrespect their flag you could be considered for a three-year jail term? Greece: two years; Germany: five years; Spain: one year.

Dear Colin Kaepernick, I know you could care less about some college girl ranting to a blog. I know you probably won't ever see this, but I cannot stand by any longer and not speak up. I will speak up for what I believe in just as you have. I will continue to pray for you. A man exhibiting such selfish behavior must be hurting inside. Happy people don't lash out for attention.

I pray you come to realize we are blessed to live the land of the free because of the brave.

I pray you stop fighting against the flag and fight against what you are actually concerned with.

I pray you fight alongside the flag.

I pray you learn that heroes don't throw a pigskin on Sunday, but they do walk to the frontlines.

Dear Colin Kaepernick, what are you really fighting for?