Colin Kaepernick Deserves Better

Colin Kaepernick Deserves Better

The Kaepernick situation is going on longer than expected.

16
Colin Kaepernick Deserves Better
ABC News

As most of us know, 2016 was a very political year for the United States. Celebrities who seemed to have no political interests whatsoever came out and spoke up on what was on their minds. Among those celebrities were athletes; NBA, NFL, MLB, you name it.

However, out of all those famous faces, San Francisco 49ers' quarterback Colin Kaepernick made the biggest move that almost immediately moved the spotlight from the Top 1 percent in the world to him.

Kaepernick's silent protest and signature hashtag #SitWithKaepernick was featured on every single news outlet from ESPN to FOX. Of course, this just added much more commotion for the NFL -- Roger Goodell and the "No Fun League" -- but a good handful of NFL players, other athletes and people didn't see it that way.

And they still don't see it that way.

Thousands of football fans are threatening to boycott the NFL if Kaepernick does not get signed with a team. They have conducted an ongoing petition through Change.org stating:

"We understand the NFL is very important to you. We also understand the purpose of Colin Kaepernick's protest is FAR more important than any games you will ever watch. Simply put, if things stay the same for the way America -- where 'all men are created equal' -- treats people of color, then your loved ones, friends, and children will eventually be affected as well."

The petition has over 130,000 signatures on it -- as of Aug. 9 -- and are only a little over 11,300 people away from reaching their goal. These people have made themselves clear noting:

"If you are appalled by [Kaepernick not signing], then show your power by boycotting the NFL until Kaepernick gets signed to a team," the petition states. "This means to not watch any games, no social media comments about your favorite team before/during/after the games, don't attend the stadiums, and don't buy any merchandise which represents the league or your favorite team.

And to go along with that, last Tuesday, Aug. 8, Spike Lee promoted a rally that was held the following day at the NFL headquarters in honor of the quarterback.

The 29 year old opted out of his contract on March 1 with 49ers. The only known interaction since then is with the Seattle Seahawks.

This past season Kaepernick threw 16 touchdowns, completed 196 out of 331 for 2,241 yards with a 59.2 passer rating and only 4 interceptions. Long story short -- he's an above average player. Which makes absolutely no sense as to how former Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, who's been beat in recent years, was signed to a one-year $10 million deal with the Miami Dolphins before him.

I hope they see the potential in Kaepernick soon, but, for now, he seems to be doing rather well with his foundation.