5 Reasons Why I Prefer Working From A Coffee Shop Rather Than A Library

Any reason to fuel my caffeine addiction.

20

I've been called out by my friends for preferring to study at a coffee shop rather than the library. How do I tell my friends that I despise the overcrowds and lack of spatial openness and creativity without coming off rude, or without them thinking I don't want to study with them? To all the people who are wondering why I am the way I am, here's a short list of all the reasons why I pretty much live at a coffee shop.

1. Endless Coffee

Jordan Danielle - Petty Mayonnaise

Need I say more? Whether I stayed up late writing a story or had to get up bright and early for class, I can rely on this insanely delicious liquid gold to wake me up and get me through the day. Nowadays, one cup of coffee does not cut it, especially by the time I'm done with classes and have to do homework. On days when I have to grind hard as f**k, I'll bus over to Karma Cream, plop myself down in a window-side booth, and get to work with a piping hot cup of chai spice latte. And better yet, if I need a refill (which I usually do), I can easily do so without having to walk down flights of stairs or leaving my stuff unattended. I mean it doesn't get any better than that for my caffeinated soul.

2. Creative Ambiance

San Francisco Bay Coffee

As a writer, the atmosphere of a coffee shop is the perfect place for brewing creativity. The rich smell of freshly ground coffee, the cheerful sight of baristas making beverages, the faint chatter of people conversing… it sets the mood for me when I'm getting into my creative zone. The subtle commotion of life happening in the background makes me feel at ease and enables me to find inspiration through observation.

3. Taking A Break From Campus Life

PMSLWeb.com on Pinterest

Sometimes, it gets mundane going to campus every day and doing the same routine over and over again. For me, I like to get away from campus life every now and then in order to stay sane. If I ever feel stuck or feel like I need to change up my daily routine, I'll head over to Karma to escape college life for a little bit. This also gives me the chance to interact with locals from Gainesville and find information on any upcoming community events and/or concerts.

4. Less Distractions

Cheezburger

I've tried working at Library West and Marston before, but I just can't get over how insanely packed it is at all hours of the day! I find myself getting distracted by people talking loudly or goofing around. And, I always bump into at least 3 to 5 friends I haven't seen in a while, which more often than not, turns into a socializing event and not a study session. Don't get me wrong, I love catching up with old pals, but it defeats the purpose of me going to the library to do work. I find that I'm less likely to bump into people I know at coffee shops that are decently spaced apart from campus.

5. Sunlight/Natural Setting

Ines Perkovic

I love working near a window or at a place that has nature in the surrounding background! There's just such a calm and relaxing feeling about working in an open, naturally-lit space. Library West and Marston might have tons of outlets and tables for students, but the one thing it lacks is natural light. I mean, Marston's "busiest" and "most social" floor is literally in the basement! (I don't understand how people function there, to be honest). My focus and creativity are fostered through the rays of the sun, and coffee shops don't let me down when it comes to that.