I know what It feels like to be unlucky. You know. The feeling that everybody else has their life together, that everything always seems to work out in their favor, and nobody seems to understand your struggles?

Simple things, like missing the bus by seconds, always being the only one not ready for the picture, spilling your drinks only when you’re wearing a white shirt. Things like bumping into that cute guy from class only when you look less-than-presentable, misjudging the shortest checkout line and waiting for way too long, or tripping on literally nothing and falling in a spectacular heap of embarrassment.

I’m told time and time again, “that could only happen to you.”

In seventh grade, I didn’t just break one arm, I broke both. Having to be fed, dressed, bathed and everything in between by my mother because I couldn’t bend my arms at the elbow, now that’s bad luck. My friends actually keep a list of the awkward and embarrassing things of my life. You name it, and it’s probably happened to me.

I’ve come to accept that no matter how hard I try, nothing will work out in my favor. I’ve actually learned to like it.

While everybody else is living it up in their picture-perfect lives, I’m having my own adventure every day. I’ve experienced more life than I’d have liked to at times, but it has shaped who I am and what I value, and I really don’t think I could have gotten where I’m at today otherwise.

I’ve learned to laugh at myself, and better yet, I get to make others laugh at my stories. My tales of dumb luck, embarrassing miscommunications, clumsiness, and sheer misfortune can turn any bad day brighter. I’ve learned that laughing at yourself with others is the best way to make friends and learn to be comfortable in anybody’s company.

I’ve become more confident. I know that life will get in the way of your plans every chance it gets. I know what I want, and I’m gonna make it happen because I know the universe probably has other plans, so I need to work fast.

Best of all, life is always interesting. I’ve learned not to strive for perfection, but to seek happiness. Because perfection is based on the standards of other people and what everyone else values. But what if I don’t value the same monetary and material items that define a “perfect” life?

No. I want to live a life to lift everyone around me up. To bring joy and laughter wherever I go and always be there to make others smile. And if that means I’m cursed to live an “unlucky” life, then bring it on.