Now's The Time To Clean Your Greasy Range Hood Filter

If the hood is blocked by the grease and dirt, it may lose its effectiveness.

127
Paintzen / Flickr

Do you remember the last time you cleaned that greasy range hood filter? If it's been a while since you've done it, this is the time. Get up and do it. Otherwise, it would not be good for the appliance. The main task of a range hood is to collect all the grease and if it is done properly, you should also maintain it in the same manner.

If you need some tips before buying the best range hood in the market, you can check out kitchenguyd's review on this. If the hood is blocked by the grease and dirt, it may lose its effectiveness and that is the reason you should clean it timely. If you are aware of how to clean and maintain the range hood, go ahead, if not, you can follow the method explained below.

The following method requires some of these household ingredients.

• Baking Soda
  • Degreasing Dish Soap
  • Boiling or Extremely hot water
  • Heat Proof Container
  • Non-Abrasive Scrub Brush

Follow the given instructions step-by-step and it will take just a few minutes of your day.

1. Remove the filter

Most of the filters are easy to remove from the underside of their range hood. Maybe you need to push it little upward to take it out. Check for the loop or latch that can help you to remove it. Remember how it will go in so that replacing it becomes easy when you complete the cleaning process.

2. Prepare a place to clean it

For this, you need to get a heatproof container to clean the range hood filter. This can be a pot, casserole dish or sink. No matter how long it can resist boiling water and will fit your filter. If you don't have a large enough space, use a medium-sized saucepan and clean one end at a time. Remember not to use a non-stick pan otherwise it will get easily scratched by the metal filter.

Fill the container with hot boiling water. The hotter the water is the better to break down the grease.

3. Add soap and baking soda

Add a tablespoon or two of dish soap in the container. If you are using a pot, make sure that the water is no longer boiling otherwise it could bubble over. Now sprinkle ¼ to ½ cup of baking soda over the top of the water, which will fizz and bubble as well. Mix the solution well so that it is evenly distributed.

4. Soak the range hood filter

Immerse the filter or only one end if it doesn't fit, let it soak and let the cleaning solution do most of the part. It will take at least five minutes but be keeping it for ten minutes would be better. Soaking in the solution will break down the grease and you can perform the next step easier.

5. Scrub

After soaking, remove the remaining grease with the help of a non-abrasive scrub brush. Make sure that you clean it properly.

6. Rinse and dry

Take the filter out from the hot water solution and clean to remove the soap and leftover grease if any. Dry it off properly by using a clean rag or paper towel.

7. Replace the filter

Now your range hood is all clean and ready for use. Put it back and enjoy the benefits of a clean range hood filter.

Clean your filter regularly by using these simple steps and enjoy the effectiveness of your range hood filter.