easy ways to eat clean while in college

10 easy ways to eat clean in college

I like coffee as much as the next girl, but a 900 calorie cup of joe isn't ideal, ya know?

105
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-beautiful-breakfast-brunette-1153367/
pexels.com

In the craze of a college world, it is easy to lose track of how many calories are going in, and how many you are walking (or dancing) off. Here are a few easy and small ways anyone clean up their diet starting today!

1. Keep fresh fruit on hand

Fresh fruit is an easy way to stay healthy and full. Although dried fruit is also an easy option, check the label to make sure there isn't a lot of added sugar and calories. Stock up on easy to grab fruits like apples, bananas, or oranges. Apples are rich in fiber and keep you full while bananas and oranges are full of potassium, magnesium, and carbs that will help fuel you for your activities.

2. Buy steam-able bags of vegetables

Bags of vegetables in the freezer section are a busy girl's best friend! There is a huge variety of vegetables and they are cheap and only take like five minutes to heat up. Veggies are super important in maintaining a healthy diet and mineral balance, so it is great to have them stocked up in the freezer.

3. Plan ahead

If you know that your sorority/frat is going to have pizza night on Friday and pancakes on Wednesday, then make sure you are eating healthy meals on the other days of the week. It is definitely okay to enjoy pizza and cookies on occasions, just make sure that your nutrient-rich food outweighs the lower nutritional value foods. Also, plan what meals you are going to eat the other days of the week to make sure you are always prepared and not easily swayed when your roommate gets Insomnia at 10 p.m.

4. Follow your goals

Follow some social media fitness stars! Usually they will post easy meal ideas and free workouts on their page! Plus: looking at their abs will encourage you to put down the box of oreos.

5. Make a grocery day

Plan your meals and make a list! Pick one day of the week and go buy groceries to keep your clean eating on track!

6. Meal prep

Prep your meals ahead of time and store them in the fridge so you can heat them in the microwave throughout the week.

7. Eat meatless

When you can, don't eat meat. There are plenty of cheaper, healthier ways to get protein in your day! Beans and lentils are a great source of fiber and protein and they are super cheap. Plus, eating vegetables and beans instead of meat will give you more antioxidants and vitamins.

8. Switch your Starbucks order

I like coffee as much as the next girl, but a 900 calorie cup of joe isn't ideal, ya know? Enjoying regular coffee from cafes like Starbucks and Cup's could lead to an excessive amount of calories and sugar. There are plenty of healthy coffee drinks available if you just make a few small changes to your order. Switching to sugar free vanilla or caramel syrup instead of regular syrup, or switching full fat milk for coconut or almond milk can save hundreds of calories and prevent a sugar crash.

9. Look at the menu/what’s in the Cafeteria before you arrive

If you know what your options are before you go in the restaurant or the cafeteria, it is more likely that you will make a conscious, healthy, choice. It is easy to feel rushed when you are asked what you want by the waiter, or have to pass the fried chicken in line, but if you are expecting these inquiries, it is easy to make the right choice.

10. Indulge in lighter “binge foods”

If you can't study without a pint of ice cream or a pan of brownies, switch to a lighter version to save you hundreds of calories. If Ben and Jerry are your boys, switch to the new low calorie Ben and Jerry's pint (it comes in milk and cookies flavor, peanut butter cookie dough, or caramel cookie) or my personal favorite, Halo Top (which has so many flavors it's unreal, look 'em up). If brownies are your jam, maybe hit up a couple Fiber One brownies, which have 80 calories, lots of fiber, and are, in fact, delicious.