Why Clay Travis Is The Best Sports Media Professional Around

Sports media has changed a lot. Here is how we get it back.

18

It really hurts for me to say this, but we are living in a time where being “Politically Correct” is more important for the media than covering legit, news worthy content. While this is apparent in all types of media, I personally see it very prominently in sports media. While I know that there is not always a breaking story and that analysts and journalists will and should discuss the issues affecting the world, there should be an open conversation, and the core focus should be on sports, not every new political idea that appears.

Now I am not saying this about all media personalities or those of certain political views. There are some media professionals that I listen to everyday that I have very different views than. You can just look at what is covered now vs. what would have been covered just a few years ago. For example, I used to could watch sports center all day long, but now, ESPN has gotten so political and biased, it is not worth turning on.

I do have good news though. There is a hope that we will continue to see the sports media of old, and that hope is Clay Travis.

This isn’t going to be a fan boy article, but I am going to talk about why Clay’s style is what media has turned away from. More importantly, I am going to give the simple process to getting back to what we love: true, unbiased sports talk.

Clay Travis hosts a show on Fox Sports Radio, and is also the founder of outkickthecoverage.com. He does what all good radio hosts do: States the issue, gives his opinion, and encourages you to call and give your take on the issue. Most of the time, people will come in with completely wrong stats or views and they will get wrecked, but they are still encouraged to call in. People aren’t censored off the show because of their views or lifestyle. They all get their voice. Clay does not let his personal opinion lead to a biased show. If he just let people who thought just like him, the show would be trash. A load of “yes men” make for a garbage show. The real beauty in the show is that Clay does not make things up, and what he says about the people on the show and the topics talked about are true. If someone is wrong he will let them know. Not as a matter of opinion, but with facts. This is where the majority of major sports media channels are failing miserably. Broadcasters and analysts will be so deadest on being PC about an issue that the show goes so far to the left that it is a pain to listen to. You can have an opinion and still have an unbiased show or site.

The other major thing that makes me enjoy listening to Clay is the realness he brings. I follow him on twitter and love to see the interaction that he has with fan and foes. Clay will tweet back and actually have conversations with people. Clay recently put out an article about a trash sports media site that was tweeting lies and incorrect quotes by him. They have taken down the tweets, but in the conversation, he said something along the line of “In the next year I am going to own your company and fire you live on periscope.” There was only one word that entered my mind: Savage. I say this because it shows that Clay Travis is the same guy throughout the day that he is on his show. Although I have never met him, I fully believe that if I were to interview Clay, he would be the same dude that I hear each morning. He doesn’t have to put on a show to get a following. He just shows his true personality and only makes statements that he can legitimately back up with facts. So much of the media today doesn’t follow this style. I watch some guys that are just trying so hard to appear to be something that they aren’t. They put on a show for the camera. Now I know that I have never met these famous national analysts and broadcasters, but I do know when someone is being genuine. When you start just following trends and being what people want, it will be clear. By simply owning who you are and discussing legit things, I guarantee that a bigger fan base will be built.

To sum it all up, I will give you the down and dirty way to bring sports media back to its former glory: Stop making it your agenda to be politically correct about every single topic. I know that America has become overridden with people who get offended if you breathe the wrong way. Someone will always get upset about something.

When I listen to the SPORTS RADIO, I listen because I want to know about….SPORTS. Get back to the basics of what make sports radio great. Don’t make your show into one sided NPR.

Lastly, please please please, from one writer to all others, make sure that you are not putting out bogus, clickbait content. I know that writing and making material can be time consuming. I do it as a hobby and still find myself with a work load to make a piece it a proud of. If you claim to be a professional member of the sports media community, act like it. Don’t put out trash work. Don’t attack another person because you got your feelings hurt or their opinion is different. Don't just produce content just to get you a following. Put in the time, cover what is important, and take pride that you have made the lives of every sports fan a little better.

C.Long