Cities For Summer Internships

Cities For Summer Internships

7

College students constantly pour themselves into classwork, clubs and extracurricular activities. Their parents and society have taught them to climb the ladder of achievement in these areas, build their resumes and reach for the top in search of the ultimate goal – a job.

Beyond the extracurricular activities and the grades, getting an internship is one of the biggest resume boosters for college students seeking jobs when they go out into the real world. A significant amount of time spent as an intern is worth more than simply having a high GPA. When a college student spends time in an internship they learn new skills as well as how to apply that knowledge in a practical situations. Essentially, they prove their worth.

When looking for an internship, the company is important, but it is also vital for students to examine the city they will intern in. Of course, it's imperative to find a city full of fun and nightlife, but there are certain key factors that make a city an ideal location for an internship.

International traffic

It’s very beneficial to find a city that is a hub for international travel. These cities will usually have an international airport that brings both diversity and opportunity. More than likely, internships in these cities will look better on a resume because of the prestige of working with an international company. Cities like these also foster a better environment for establishing connections and contacts that can help secure future jobs. If it’s an option, an internship abroad would also be a great option.

Growth

Growing cities constantly have internships popping up that require eager college students. The lure of large cities is often tempting, however, it’s easy for big city businesses to become stagnant. Thriving cities allow a healthy pool of competition that provides valuable experience. Jumping onboard with a new business, or new business location, is a good way to prove loyalty and have the appearance of being a founding member of a business.

Company headquarters

Cities with well-established company locations are perfect for finding large numbers of internship opportunities as well as prestigious positions at company headquarters. There will also be a wider variety of internship opportunities, while smaller branches of businesses will have more limited options.

Environment

It seems obvious, but many do not put a lot of thought into the climates they can tolerate for summer internships. An internship in Seattle isn’t a great option for those who are adamant about getting the perfect summer tan. The sudden switch in cultural climates can also cause people to stumble while pursuing an internship. Big cities can sometimes seem harsh and unwelcoming compared to Norman’s southern hospitality. Interns who feel uncomfortable in their environments often perform poorly because of the stressful change, leaving a negative impression on their employers.

Living expenses

Even if a city has exponential growth, global travel and prominent businesses, it will be out of the question if it’s unaffordable. New York City appears to be a glamorous, thriving metropolis, bursting at the seams with opportunity. However, it’s an uphill battle for a college student to live inexpensively while working at a low-paying internship. The living expenses and late nights out can make it easy to spend every hard-earned penny without realizing it. Many southern cities are much more reasonable to manage money on a modest college student budget.

Here are a few cities that are great for summer internships.

Kansas City, Kan.

Tulsa, Okla.

Dallas, Tex.

Minneapolis, Minn.

Atlanta, Ga.

Cleveland, Ohio

Washington, D.C.