Christmas As A Young Adult
Christmas As A Young Adult
www.freshdesignpedia.com

Remember the happiness you felt on Christmas morning? The glee that would keep you up all night and wake you up at 6 AM, eager to open your presents? The entire holiday season was exciting and lead up to the best day of the year. I remember years in which I didn't sleep at all, waiting to hear reindeer hooves on our roof. There was no better feeling than waking up to a pile of presents and the milk and cookies you laid out eaten.

It's been at least a decade since I've believed in the jolly old Kris Kringle, but even after I stopped, I was still eager to open gifts and share with all my friends and family. This year, at the age of 18, I've used the holidays as a time to appreciate things I never did as a child. I've realized that, I've started to see Christmas as a way to connect with family, rather than receiving gifts (although that doesn't hurt).

I no longer hold the pure elation as I once did. The magic is gone.

This year, I was most excited to give back to my family, and spend time with the ones I love. We no longer wake up at the crack of dawn to shred open our gifts, but rather, take our time and enjoy our time together. It's a bittersweet transformation, really. Growing up means being able to appreciate more but more than likely losing your childlike wonder and your belief in the magic of christmas.

As a child, all I wished for was to be grown, but as a young adult, I wish I was able to experience that pure christmas joy one more time to hold on to forever. There are so many experiences that one has as a child that we don't know won't last until they're gone. The next time we'll see and experience something like that is when we're older, with children of our own (or you get a headstart with nieces and nephews).

Not all is lost, however. New feelings come and go when it comes to the holidays. They signify togetherness, tradition, and happiness, so not all is lost in the transition from childhood to adulthood.