Christmas Is The Time For Baking

Christmas Is The Time For Baking

TB: Team Baking.
27

I consider myself a “foodie.” For those of you who don’t know what that means, it basically means I love food. A lot.

Take my combination of being a “foodie” and the fact that Christmas is in the air, it’s officially time to begin baking Christmas cookies!

My grandmother had this tradition of making our family’s favorite Christmas cookies with my aunt every year. Sadly, my aunt passed away last year so now my cousin and I are hopping on the tradition bandwagon of Christmas cookie baking and today was the day. We were quite excited, to say the least.

We had so many different cookies to make. We started with some pumpkin cookies, then snickerdoodle, and the classic chocolate chip. Then we moved on to spritz cookies, peanut butter balls, and rum balls. We had a system and for the most part, it was going great.

My grandmother was the cookie creator. This is not because my cousin and I don’t know how to bake cookies, but rather, my grandmother was having us make all these cookies that we thoroughly enjoy devouring but have never baked ourselves. Besides the chocolate chip that is.

I was the self-selected decorator. If I’m being totally honest, which I am, I was probably not the choice my grandmother wanted because I accept the fact that cookie baking can be messy. Translation: I don’t care if I make a mess.

Finally, my cousin was the cookie watcher. It was her sole duty to watch and make sure the cookies don’t burn. She failed; two batches although still edible, are quite brown. However, I will take half the blame because as the little cousin, it’s my life’s duty to be a distraction with my humorous commentary. Another reason my cousin should not take the blame for the burnt cookies is that our grandmother has an oven that I have declared as being "too advanced for us." You see, our grandmother has a convection oven and because of this, it bakes faster than your standard old oven that we each have. Plus, my grandmother doesn’t use a timer and we’re not focused enough to just watch a clock.

As a result of our burnt batches, my cousin and I will be returning to our grandmothers house for a “re-do baking session.” We are determined to meet the rest of our family’s standards for bomb Christmas cookies!