Christmas gifts for kids

What You Should Actually Get Kids For Christmas

Getting lots of gifts for Christmas doesn't always make you happy, Getting what you want in fewer gifts just might bring out that happiness a little bit more.

19

Well its that time of year again, Christmas. And people love to go all out when it comes to decorations and presents. Now my question is, do people like receiving lots of gifts big or small? Or would you rather get one big gift that you really want and maybe 3-5 smaller gifts to go with it?

Andrew Neel

I know I used to love getting lot's of gifts when I was a kid, the more the better I thought. But as I have gotten older and become a wife and mother of 3 boys. I really enjoy getting fewer gifts that I know I will use and love, and focus more on my kids and give them a great Christmas.

But when I see people go crazy on Black Friday, and I understand that there are some great deals that day, but when you go to a store a just buy something because it's a good deal but are you really going to use it?

Freestocks.org

Everyone is different and that is ok, And this year I asked my kids what they wanted, and at first, they just rambled off toy after toy, so my husband and I stopped them and asked are you really going to play with that? and they just looked at us like what kind of question is that.

But then my oldest who is 8 said no. We then asked what he would want. "Do you want a lot of little gifts or one big gift and a few smaller gifts?" And he chose option 2, so we had them make a list of the thing they really wanted and 3-5 smaller things. This has helped our shopping so much.

RawPixel.com

Having to buy fewer gifts is a great feeling, because I know I'm getting them what they want, but saving money and not buying things that may only get played with for a week. I have my kids go through their toys every year, what is broken gets thrown away and the toys that are in great shape but not played with get donated.

My husband and I are doing the same thing this year, we told each other what we really wanted, and made a list of things we would like to have that would be useful to us and we would use. So many gifts get returned every year or go unused because people don't want them or won't use them and they will sit and collect dust.

So that is my question to everyone, would you rather have lots of gifts or just a few? And do you buy for everyone in your family including nieces and nephews? I have so many of them that I can't buy for everyone, and they understand, I don't expect them to buy for my family when they have their own.

The youth these days seem to want and want and feel that they are entitled to everything, and that is far from the truth. They don't want everything for Christmas and there are adults like that too. People need to look and see what they really want and need, not what is trendy and new. Because those trendy items are going to get used for maybe a few months, and then they will be discarded.

The holidays are more about being with friends and family then presents, but the presents are fun to get and can be special.