You Aren't Going To Die If I Wish You A Happy Holidays

As the holidays approach, I just want to bring up the ridiculous debate on, "Happy Holidays," versus, "Merry Christmas." Some people get so upset that people choose to say happy holidays as to be inclusive, and I honestly don't see the big deal.

I am the biggest Christmas junkie you will ever see. I have ugly Christmas sweaters, I have my own personal Christmas tree in my room, I decorate the house, I play in the snow, I listen to Christmas music exclusively in the month of December, but I will still wish you a happy holidays. I still wish to say a phrase that is all encompassing rather than wishing you a Merry Christmas, despite my obsession with Reindeer, Santa Clause, and the colors red and green during the month of December. Why? Because I don't know what you celebrate and giving you merry wishes in whatever holiday you celebrate is what I love to do.

The holidays are about spreading cheer and love, not hate and borderline racism. Me saying happy holidays is not, "un-american," like most people claim it to be. It's literally being respectful and doesn't hurt anyone. Happy holidays is all encompassing and lets someone know you wish them a happy and cheerful time in whatever they celebrate. So why do people get so upset about it?

I've seen posts where people are bashing stores for saying happy holidays. I've seen posts claiming it's, "un-american," to wish someone happy holidays. It all boils down to this: Americans don't exclusively celebrate Christmas.

That is the amazing thing about America. There are so many beautiful and amazing cultures that celebrate a vast variety of holidays. In fact, besides Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Las Posadas, Diwali, and the Chinese New Year are being celebrated. If all of these holidays are being celebrated, it does not make sense that I, a total stranger to you, would wish you a Merry Christmas when I have no idea what you are celebrating this holiday season.

To all the Karens of the world: you are not going to die if I wish you a happy holidays. Hell will not freeze over and the Earth will not explode if I don't specifically wish you a visit from St. Nick. I will continue to always wish a happy holidays because not only is it respectful, but truly, with whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope it is filled with love, laughter, and good times with friends and family.