Christmas As An Adult

Christmas As An Adult

Warning: potential spoilers ahead.

24
Christmas As An Adult
Heat Miser

So it’s finals week, and that means I’ve been watching a lot of ABC Family and avoiding the looming responsibility ahead of me.

And I’m not watching re-runs of "Reba," nope. It’s the most wonderful time of the year; it’s the 25 Days of Christmas.

For 25 days each year, ABC Family dedicates its network to bringing unlimited joy to stressed-out college kids like myself through the form of classic Christmas movies.

They’ve got it all from “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” to the terribly done “Polar Express.” Sorry Tom Hanks, I love you, but that movie has so many loopholes and is borderline scary at some points. The scene with the talking puppets -- why was that necessary in a children's film?

The stop-motion animation of ones like “A Year Without a Santa Claus” and “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” bring me back to sitting in front of the VHS player with a cup of hot chocolate, waiting for the tape to rewind.

Five-year-old Marissa would curse Burger Meister Meister Burger for throwing out those kids' toys. She would also wonder why Mr. Heat Miser has little minions of himself dancing around.

But now, as I sit in front of my TV in my college apartment, I realize Christmas has become nostalgic for me.

Instead of considering what’s going to happen this Christmas, I find myself remembering all of my past Christmases.

Believe me, Christmas is my favorite time of the year and I love everything about it, but I just don’t get as excited as I used to be.

I remember sitting in my room struggling to have the nicest cursive in my letter to Santa.

I remember my brother, my sister and I doing jumping jacks before bed because we weren’t even close to being tired. We were way too excited for Santa. Our mom turned on the news just before bed and according to the Santa Tracker, Santa was right over Paris. That meant he would be in Stafford, Virginia, within the next couple of hours, right?

I’m really glad I didn’t think too hard about the logistics of Santa Claus when I was little. I’m no scientist, but Kris Kringle must have had some sled to get him halfway across the world in an hour.

It’s not like I miss believing in Santa. I would be a little concerned if I was a 21-year-old woman that still left cookies out for Santa.

Christmas as a child just holds some of my happiest memories.

The excited pacing I did at the top of the stairs, waiting for my dad to get the tape recorder ready for the home video.

The reindeer food that we made in elementary school which must have been so frustrating for my parents because I was essentially just throwing glitter onto their grass.

All I know is that I’m going to do Santa big when I have my own kids. Years and years and years and years from now when I have kids, I’m going to pull out all the stops.

One year, my parents made Santa’s “footprints” right by the fireplace, and I don’t think I’ve ever been more hype.

So yes, Christmas is nostalgic now, but it’s not a bad thing. Looking back on my memories just proves how much Christmas positively impacted my little life.

And instead of writing a 15-page paper, I’m going to sit here and think about the times I probably should have gotten onions in my stocking.