I'm A Christian And A Feminist

I'm A Christian And A Feminist

Here's Why Those Two Things Go Together

18
I'm A Christian And A Feminist
Sydney Adair Goyette

In today's society, there tend to be many stereotypes. I'm sure you can list at least five off the top of your head. Just a quick question though--of those five stereotypes that you just listed, were Christians and/or feminists mentioned? If not, that's fine, but these two titles do come with what you may call "baggage." It's a shame actually.

I was raised in a Christian home--by the grace of God--and accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior within the first two years of college. This new-found faith in Christ's sacrifice for my sins was liberating. It was also during these first two years of college when I began to discuss and come into contact with feminism. Juxtaposing the conservative, stingy stereotype of a Christian with the liberal, "bra burning" stereotype of a feminist seems like a stretch, but I'm here as a Christian first, and a feminist second, to show you why I am able to call myself both of these things.

First, let's define feminism. There's a lot of misunderstanding concerning this topic, and in order to reconcile the two titles of Christian and feminist, we must first unearth feminism from the piles of dirt that media and society may throw on top of it. Feminists do not hate men (at least they shouldn't). Feminists do not assert that women are better than men. Being a feminist does not make you gay or a lesbian. Being a feminist does not make a man weak or "girly." Feminism is simple: A feminist believes that men and women should have equal rights. These rights can concern politics, social perceptions, and economic functioning. A Feminist can be a CEO, or a stay at home mom. A feminist does not have to be pro-choice. A feminist is allowed to wear a bra. A feminist does not have to vote for Hillary Clinton just because she is a woman. They can be of any race. They can be male. They can be female. You get the gist. It's about equality.

That being said, Jesus Christ and the Bible have a lot to say about the equality of men and women. If we start with the creation story, Genesis 1:27 states, "so God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them" (NIV). In this verse, we see that God created both men AND women in His image. Though we use male pronouns for God in most of our biblical translations, God is not really male. He created men and women, He is not a man or a woman (with the exception of Jesus, God in human form, part of the Trinity). Since we are both made in the image of God, there is no difference between the sexes. They are equal in the eyes of God because both men and women were created to bear His image. The first person that Jesus Christ showed Himself to after He rose from the dead was Mary Magdalene--who was a woman. He even entrusted and commanded her to go tell His disciples--who were all men--of this Good News. This is Jesus, the Savior of the World, the One who defeated death, Hell, and sin, telling a woman to go share and speak with men of the most important news in all of history (...and you thought you had important responsibilities). Furthermore, in Galatians 3:28, Paul writes "there is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave nor free, nor is there male or female, you are all one in Christ Jesus" (NIV). When God looks at you, He doesn't define you by your race. He doesn't define you by your economic situation. He doesn't love one sex more than the other. He sees a person that He created and loves beyond human understanding. He desperately wants to have a relationship with you through Jesus Christ. It's not because you're a man, and it's not because you're a woman. If the Creator and Lord of the Universe does not differentiate between His love and care for men and women, why do we think we can? I am a Christian. And because of this, I am a feminist.