The Two Toughest C's: Christianity And College

You CAN experience and grow in both.

3
Trevor Weston

If there is one thing college kids learn to do by the time they graduate, it's time management. From the beginning of freshman to senior year, schedules only get busier as students find themselves desperately trying to manage classes, jobs, internships, relationships, their social life, and applications. With all of this, stress levels begin to rise and different areas of our lives become extremely neglected. One area in particular that does not receive enough attention from most students in college is faith. Not just faith in yourself, but faith in Him. While we may have been raised in Christian homes or still attend church when we visit home during the weekends, there just doesn't seem to be time for God, let alone a relationship with Him during college years.

It might be "easy" to shove aside your faith and your beliefs to focus on your current schoolwork and circumstances, but God is calling us to Him now. He does not want us to stick Him on a to-do list and say, "Sorry, I'm busy, but I promise I'll check you off eventually." He is calling us into an active relationship with Him now. He wants us to seek Him with our whole hearts now, because we do not know if we will have a later. He deserves to be at the top of our list every single day. While most of us would agree that it is easier said than done, Christ is telling us that with Him, everything will be easier in the long run.

So, let's say we make Him our number one. In such a busy life with so many other demands, how do we make Him our priority? Even if we find the time, how do we create this relationship with Him in college, an environment where religion is often frowned upon and rejected?

Have an intentional relationship with Him. Just like you put in the effort to talk to your parents everyday and talk to your best friends, do the same to spend time with God each day. Take a half an hour to an hour each morning, before bed, during your lunch break, or even on your walk to class. Dwell in His presence and talk to Him. God doesn't just want a laundry list of prayer requests whenever we can remember to pray. He wants us to tell Him our thoughts, struggles, fears, and joys. Spend intentional time with Christ each day and use it to listen to what He is telling you and showing you.

Dive into the word. Notice, I did not say world. I get it, life is busy and as college students, we spend a majority of our day with our heads stuck in textbooks. While it may seen like the last thing we want to do at the end of each day, pulling out our Bible and reading scripture is an essential aspect of growing faith. In order to get to know Christ better and understand what He really desires from us and for us, we have to dedicate time to reading the words that He has provided for us. Rather than looking at scripture as one more thing to study at the end of the day, look at it as a chance to get to know more about your Father and yourself. Use the Bible to get through your struggles and to find encouragement each day and eventually you will find yourself eager for your Bible reading.

Join campus activities and clubs. God did not intend for us to make our faith journey alone and in the college environment it is easy to feel like you are the exception or minority because you're a believer. Most campuses, however, have a lot of activities and gatherings planned for their Christian members. CRU is an on campus ministry for college kids to attend each week. It reaches a lot of different campuses (mine included) and they plan multiple activities and small groups to partake in each week. Other campuses often have similar programs, so find the right connections and get involved with a community of Christians to help support you on your walk of faith.

Put yourself out of your comfort zone. A huge part of college in general involves venturing out of your normal routines and meeting new people and doing new things; it is no different for college Christians. While it may be scary to attend events or gatherings where you don't know anyone, be bold in your faith and experience these different opportunities. It might take time, but you will find a place in the Christian family on your campus and it will help support and grow your faith.

Our society needs college-aged Christians. My personal experience on my campus has introduced me to people with bigger hearts and more love for others than I have ever met before. I have met broken people with stories that have transformed my own life and thinking about the world. While these people are not perfect, they have a love for the world that is represented through their faith in Jesus. With the tension, tragedy, and suffering that our nation is experiencing today, we need college Christians ready to pour out love onto this nation. We need loving and accepting people to change the tone of this nation and to spread the love of Christ. We need this generation to be transformed by the love of Christ and it must be shown through us, His servants.

College is busy and life is hard. God doesn't promise us easy lives or lives without suffering, but he does promise that if you "call on Him when you are in trouble, He will rescue you, and you will give Him glory" Psalm 50:15. So be encouraged in your faith and join a Christian community. Trust in His strength and His confidence and find a way to bring His love to your campus.