To The Family I Chose, Thank You For Choosing Me Right Back

You will always have a special place in my heart.
87

My family story is complicated.

One side of my family is close as can be, while the other side is basically a group of strangers with similar DNA.

Then, there's the family that isn't really family at all, but rather people I choose to surround myself with.

So, for those who choose to make an effort in my life, this one is for you.

To the "family" that I have chosen:

Whether we are related by blood or not, you make an effort for me to be in your life. Thank you.

Thank you for lifting me up and making me feel good about myself. Thank you for opening my eyes to the reality around me when I try my hardest to ignore it.

You have most likely seen me at my highest and my lowest points, and I trust you with my life.

You will never know how much it means to feel safe and loved with you.

So many people have left me and decided that I wasn't worth the work; thank you for thinking otherwise.

I love you dearly.

You are not just family, but you are friends. And you are not just my friends, but you are my family.

I chose the relationships we have.

Through the ups and downs, please know that you will always have me.

I know that I will have you.

Please don't be afraid to reach out anytime you need me.

Thank you for being the family that I've always wanted, and didn't know that I needed.

You bring out the best of me while also showing me what is best for me. I appreciate that more than anything.