I Had Mixed Feelings About Chive By Southeast

We are the ones who are going to change the world.

1069
Bryan Whitley

For those of you reading this that have no idea what The Chive is, let me shed some light for you. The Chive is a “drinking organization with a charity problem.” The Chive is a group of misfits who willingly damage their liver in hopes of making the world 10% happier. I am proud to say I am an admin for my chapter here in New Jersey.

Sometimes it is as simple as volunteering at a road clean up or painting nails for elderly women at a nursing home. Other times, it is an outrageous party weekend at the beach that rakes in over $46,000 for Chive Charities, the worthiest of all causes, focused on helping veterans, people suffering from rare medical problems, first responders, etc.

Chive by Southeast, more commonly abbreviated for CXSE (and CXS3 as it was the 3rd annual event.) is one of the best regional meetups I have ever had the opportunity of attending. The first two years, I was skeptical of the genuine motivation behind attendees. I had heard rumors of drugs, and predators that take advantage of people under the influence of alcohol, specifically women.

Despite rumors and stories told, I was not willing to miss another weekend of partying in Panama City Beach with friends, old and new. As soon as tickets went on sale, I bought mine and a pineapple cup with a lid and started planning a vacation that I knew would be a sh*tshow.

What I almost forgot was that my friends would never let anything bad happen to me or anyone else for that matter, that's why they are my friends. The love and friendship shared amongst the group is what makes the Chive so great. We look out for each other.

Four nights of non-stop smiles, the sun and shots filled my weekend. Endless hugs and selfies. The days we spent at the ocean and the nights we spent at the bar, actually, the days were spent there too. 4:00 a.m. “Last Call” didn’t stop any of us from keeping the party going.

Dunk tanks, beer Olympics, silent auctions, and great bartenders (who seriously know how to pour, if you know what I’m saying) were definitely the highlight of the weekend. Not once was I ever concerned with the fears and previous negative impressions I had of the weekend. I was having fun with my friends, enjoying Florida’s crazy fickle weather and attempting to not get a sunburn.

People went to great lengths to attend this event, myself included. I traveled over 1000 miles to attend. It was one round-trip flight, 9-hour road trips both ways, making memories that I will never forget. Maybe it was the kick-a** condo or the stingrays we could see from our balcony. All I know is I can’t believe I allowed myself to miss out on the two previous years.

Sunday brunch concludes the event and this is the moment we had all been waiting for. Medals and the big trophy were awarded and the big check was revealed. Chivers often get associated with a bad rap, you know how it is when one person manages to ruin things for the whole group.

However, at that moment, when that check showed $46,700.00, I could not have been more proud to be part of this amazing group of people I get to call family. We are the 10% that makes the world happier, we are the ones who support the underdogs and we are the ones who are going to change the world.