5 Chilling True Crime Cases Every Crime Junkie Should Know

From mysteriously murdered celebrities to missing children, this listicle covers five well-know cases to keep every true-crime fanatic pondering. These cases are covered on various podcasts and true-crime Youtube channels; I encourage you to do further research on these cases because there are details I could not cover in this article.

Missing: Madeline McCann

missing child

https://www.instagram.com/p/CByHSbKlToZ/

Madeleine McCann, daughter of Kate and Gerry McCann, was four years old on the night of her disappearance. The McCann family was vacationing in Praia de Luiz in Portugal, along with some family friends and their children. There were a total of nine adults and eight children Around 8:00 pm every night of the vacation, the adults would dine at the Tapas restaurant near their resort room, leaving the children alone. The adults took turns checking on the children every hour. The night of Madeleine's disappearance, Matthew Oldfield offered to check on the McCann children, and he saw the McCann twins asleep and he assumed Madeline was there. At 10 pm Kate went up to the room to find Madeline missing from her bed and the windows wide open. After a thorough investigation, Madeline has still not been found. There is speculation regarding her parents' involvement in her disappearance, but it has not been proven. Even thirteen years after her disappearance, Madeleine McCann is still one of the most popular missing person cases in the world.

Murdered: Caylee Anthony

caylee anthony

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA3C7RCJV07/

Caylee Anthony lived in Orlando, Florida with her grandparents and mother Casey Anthony. Casey Anthony left her home in Orlando taking Caylee with her. 31 days later, Caylee's grandmother calls 911 to report her granddaughter missing, and she tells the operator that her daughter's car has the scent of a dead body. Casey tells the police that Caylee's nanny Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez kidnapped Caylee. In August 2008, Caylee Anthony's dead body was found. After further investigation, it is uncovered that Zenaida was not Caylee's nanny. It is important to note that Casey is a pathological liar and continuously lied to police and investigators, which made her a suspect in her daughter's murder. On July 5, 2011, the jury found Casey Anthony not guilty of the murder of her daughter Caylee.

Murdered: Laci Peterson

Laci Peterson

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBUqS27p9NF/

Laci Peterson was pregnant during her disappearance. Four months later, Laci and her newborn son's body were found washed up on the San Francisco Bay. Scott Peterson, Laci's husband was the main suspect in this case. At first glance, he seems like a loving husband who was deeply troubled by his pregnant wife's disappearance, but after a closer examination this is not the case. Scott had multiple affairs, and he was unhappy with his marriage to Laci. Before Laci's murder, he was in a relationship with Amber Frey, but she did not know he was married. When the disappearance of Laci gained media attention, Amber found out Scott was married. Amber worked with the police to record their phone calls, and what he said during these calls made him the prime suspect. He was later found guilty of the murder of Laci Peterson and her newborn son.

Murdered: Emma Walker

Emma Walker

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBXlQZ2g_Go/

Emma Walker, a 16-year-old cheerleader, was found dead on her bed in Knoxville, Tennessee. Riley Gaul, Emma's ex-boyfriend, was the prime suspect. Riley and Emma had been dating for two years on-and-off, and after she broke up with him, he began stalking her. Before her death, William staged his kidnapping to gain sympathy from Emma. He later steals his grandfather's gun, claiming he needed it for self defense. Alex McCarty, a friend of William, worked with detectives and recorded his conversations with Riley. During one conversation, Riley discussed his plan to get rid of the gun with Alex. The police used this information to catch him in the act of disposing of his gun in a nearby river. The gun matched the murder weapon and was used as evidence in the trial.

Murdered: Selena Quintanilla

Selena Quintanilla

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCGllurhXZ5/

Selena Quintanilla, also known as the "Queen of Tejano Music," was shot and killed by Yolanda Saldivar, the president of her fan club. Before Selena's murder, Yolanda embezzled $30,000 from Selena's fan club and boutiques. After being confronted by Selena and her father Abraham, she bought a handgun and arranged to meet with Selena at a motel to "settle the dispute." When their discussion turned sour and Selena fired Yolanda, she pulled out the handgun and shot Selena as she left the room. Selena's last words were, "She shot me...Yolanda."