What It's Like To Go Home To The Chicago Suburbs For The Holidays

There's no place like home for the holidays.

12
Wienwiki / Johann Werfring via Wikimedia Commons

There are a lot of people who live in the Chicagoland area, but there are also a lot of people who have left the Chicagoland area. However, you can’t be gone too long before missing it. Luckily, the holiday season is a great excuse to ease that homesickness that never really goes away.

It’s freezing.

Literally. And that’s before wind chill. (It ain’t called the Windy City for nothing.) I know not everyone went South (or somewhere else warm, like the sun) from Chicago, but nobody outside the Midwest really understands how dramatic the weather it is. I swear it’s either -20F or 100F and never in between.

The snow is perfect.

Age makes one bitter about snow. It’s too cold to touch, and it ruins your car. But gosh is it pretty. You just need that perfect snow scene for a couple weeks when it’s still pretty. And before you get jaded. Like in March when the snow finally all turns to slush.

You need to grab Portillo’s.

This isn’t a Chicago list until I talk about Portillo’s. I’m mostly adding this to be annoying, but that doesn’t mean it’s a lie. I’m 100% going. Like right now.

You have to take a trip downtown.

Maybe you just spent the past year telling everyone that they have to visit Chicago in December, or maybe you hate the city. But you have to admit that it’s beautiful. Just take a look at the Macy’s windows, grab some cocoa from the Christkindlmarkt, do some shopping. Nothing will get you into the holiday spirit like a trip downtown.

You’re so ready to go ice skating.

We’ve all been on the ice rink in Millennium Park. It’s just a ice rink though, and it’s lost its charm these days. Which means you have to try the new ice skating ribbon in Maggie Daley! Totally different and way cooler.

You get to go sledding!

You ever point to a hill in the middle of summer and say, “That’d be perfect for sledding!” while your friends look at you like you’re crazy? Well, who’s crazy now? Find your hill and get going.

You can finally have good pizza.

Okay, maybe I’m being annoying again, but deep dish is never as satisfying as it is in winter. All that hot cheese, while you're bundled up, is the perfect way to end a long, cold day. I’ll let you decide what place you’re getting it from.