Chelsea Manning Begs President Obama For Time Served

The former Army Private has been imprisoned for leaking classified documents since 2010

1
NewNowNext

Iraq War whistleblower Chelsea Manning has written to President Barack Obama, asking him to reduce her sentence to time served, CBS has reported.

In the letter written by Manning, published on www.medium.com, Manning pleads for clemency, saying that she has served sufficient time for leaking sensitive and classified war documents to the public:

"I take full and complete responsibility for my decision to disclose these materials to the public. I have never made any excuses for what I did. I pleaded guilty without the protection of a plea agreement because I believed the military justice system would understand my motivation for the disclosure and sentence me fairly. I was wrong.
The military judge sentenced me to thirty-five years confinement — far more than I could have ever imagined possible, as there was no historical precedent for such an extreme sentence under similar facts…
I have since been placed in solitary confinement as a disciplinary measure for an attempted suicide despite a growing effort — led by the President of the United States — to stop the use of solitary confinement for any purpose.
These experiences have broken me and made me feel less than human…
I have served a sufficiently long sentence. I am not asking for a pardon of my conviction. I understand that the various collateral consequences of the court-martial conviction will stay on my record forever. The sole relief am asking for is to be released from military prison after serving six years of confinement as a person who did not intend to harm the interests of the United States or harm any service members.
I am merely asking for a first chance to live my life outside the USDB as the person I was born to be." --Chelsea Manning, 2016

The request comes on the heels of the news that Manning has had two suicide attempts in the last six months. The first attempt, on July 5, caused her to end up with a short stint in solitary confinement, where on Oct. 4, Manning again attempted suicide. She cites her living conditions and time in solitary as reasons why she wished to end her life.

Manning could face charges for her attempts to end her life under military regulations.

Chelsea Manning, formerly Bradley. was sentenced to 35 years in prison in 2010 for leaking over 750,000 classified and sensitive cables to WikiLeaks. Since her incarceration, Manning has come out as a transgender woman and has published numerous pieces advocating for trans rights in the United States, Manning is currently imprisoned in Kansas, at Fort Leavenworth.

Supporters of Manning have started a petition to President Obama to help her in her quest to freedom. The petition can be found here.