"Chasing Tides"- My Upcoming EP

Music is a significant way in which I express myself. I love finding a song that describes a situation perfectly and putting my own spin on it. I also love writing lyrics and melodies and progressions of my own, creating nuanced little bundles of nostalgia that gradually reinvent themselves as time goes by. When I'm not studying, praying, journaling, watching videos, or "chilling out", I can usually be found making playlists on Spotify, or on a stairwell mashing up two songs similar in mood and meaning together on my guitar.

Somewhere along the way, the some of the originals I've been composing and the covers I've been arranging turned into a recording project: my first multi-song release to iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Google Play, etc., Chasing Tides EP . It will be out on November 16, 2016, in honor of Job 11:16, and under the stage name Rachel Tulane.

One of the most fun aspects of this process has been incorporating a theme...

The theme of Chasing Tides is the goal of finding fulfillment, which I believe we all share as individuals; we seek it in a variety of ways, but only find satisfaction for a short while. People let us down. Moments slip away. Opportunities diminish. Yet we still seek truth and beauty, knowing deep down that a steadfast fulfillment to our wistfulness exists. Will we find it? And where? My album will include six expressions of this idea:

1.) I thought "Dust In The Wind” would make a very appropriate introduction. It’s about how everything we seek in this life- even time itself- is constantly fleeting and changing at every moment. Yet we live like we own the world, and like it is all we exist for. But truly none of these things last forever.

2.) "Moon River" is a classic that describes wanderlust- a longing to explore. A longing to experience adventure and change in your life.

3.) "Why I Don't Mind" is about a tide. Uhhh, sorry ignore that part. This song speaks of this growing fondness for a person-- a friend. It entails thoughts-- No, seriously. It’s about the tidest tide that ever did tide -- that are pleading to be heard-- of admiration for all of the little things about him/her. At the same time, you try your hardest to repress them, in fear of meddling with how great things already are. It’s very “still waters run deep” and like reaching for something beautiful that you feel compelled to touch, yet are afraid to ripple.

4.) Just when you've finally found “Waldo," you come to find also that there's another page after that... until eventually it gets old, and you've sworn off the search altogether. Ha. Easier said than done.

5.) "Think of Me": Come on, now… No explanation necessary for this one. But it’s bittersweet. And timelessly relatable.

6.) "Still Restless" is my personal favorite. It serves as a reminder for anyone else who is often 'anxious and worried about many things, having a ceaseless to-do-list, always rushing after temporary acclaim. A reminder that you are loved beyond reason.