Chasing Mermaids

Chasing Mermaids

Be it the ocean, rain, or tears, water heals

16
Chasing Mermaids
delsolphotography.com

Mom tells the story

That's part family legend

Part running joke:

Her side of the family

Is part Huguenot French,

And there's this story

Of a French noblewoman

That was secretly a river spirit.

I do laps in the pool,

Feet and legs together,

Daydreaming how

A mermaid

Could be a distant relative.

I curl up against

The edge of the bathtub,

No longer caring

If my notebook gets wet.

The cradle of the water

Lets the words come easier,

The muse whispering

Between the faucet and the drain.

I think of the noblewoman,

Trapped on land;

Did she feel this restless

Away from the water,

Her lifeline?

I press my ear against the glass,

Spellbound in awe

With the chirps and chatters

Of the dolphins on the other side.

In their eyes

I perceive their empathy

Of isolation from the ocean—

Just as homesick as they are.

I pull away

More reluctantly than I should.

The ocean's heartbeat

Roars in my ears

As the sand

Embraces my feet,

Entreats me not to leave.

I pace along the shoreline,

Not unlike a circus lion.

Each glimmer of the sun

On each cresting wave

Is a possible sparkle of home.

If she were here,

Would she welcome me back?

I can reach out

Only so far,

My eyes can make out

Only so much

Mom tells the story again.

One would think

I would nod and smile by now,

The magic having faded with time.

But the dream is still there.

I do laps in the pool,

Feet and legs together,

Thinking of the river spirit,

And whether she'd be

Proud of me

For carrying on

What may be a family tradition.

66958

102195

364777

228552

118545

305039

14 Last Minute Valentine's Day Gifts Your S.O. Will Love

If they love you, they're not going to care if you didn't get them some expensive diamond necklace or Rolex watch; they just want you.

186858

Let me preface this by saying I am not a bad girlfriend.

I am simply a forgetful one.

10 Helpful Tips For College Students Taking Online Courses This Semester

Here are several ways to easily pass an online course.

126562
Photo by Vlada Karpovich on Pexels

With spring semester starting, many college students are looking to take courses for the semester. With the pandemic still ongoing, many students are likely looking for the option to take online courses.

Online courses at one time may have seemed like a last minute option for many students, but with the pandemic, they have become more necessary. Online courses can be very different from taking an on-campus course. You may be wondering what the best way to successfully complete an online course is. So, here are 10 helpful tips for any student who is planning on taking online courses this semester!