Yell For Chase: Junior Yell Candidate

Yell For Chase: Junior Yell Candidate

What you really need to know about Chase Keeland.

92
Yell For Chase: Junior Yell Candidate
Courtesy of the Yell for Chase Campaign

For many years, Yell Leaders have comprised of many members of the Corps of Cadets. Beginning as an all military school, it seemed fit to have one of these members fill one of the most vital roles that we have here at Texas A&M. It wasn’t until 1961 where the first “non-reg” (someone not a part of the Corps of Cadets) decided to run for the position. Texas A&M prides itself on deep-rooted traditions and over the past century, only a few “non-reg” Aggies have been brave enough to take a stand and pave a way for new ideas at Texas A&M.

One of those Aggies is a sophomore, Chase Keeland from Frisco, Texas and he’s running to be one of your Junior Yell Leaders. So far during his time as an Aggie he’s been involved in Sophomores Advancing in Leadership (SAIL), College Republicans, as well as a fish camp counselor. But who is Chase? Read to find out:

Why are you in the race for Yell Leader?

“Running for Yell Leader was a very big decision, and its one I prayed on and discussed with my family. It was when I was about ten years old, at my first Texas A&M football game, that I knew I was going to one day come to Aggieland. That first game I was overwhelmed with everything about this place, most notably the awesomeness of the 12th Man. When I saw how the Yell Leaders down on the field were leading all 80,000 Aggies, I couldn’t help but dream of being in the all whites one day. As a freshman, I learned that the Yell Leader does far more than lead yells at games; a Yell Leader is a representative of the entire student body and an ambassador of Texas A&M. I am running because I want to serve my fellow Aggies with everything I have, and show others, here and around the country, the Traditions and Spirit of our school.”

Tell us a joke.

“How do you keep a Longhorn out of your yard? Put up goal posts.”

What made you want to come to Texas A&M?

In my first game as a young kid, I knew immediately I wanted to come to college at Texas A&M. That first day I experienced the unmatched kindness of the students here, the unity of the 12th Man, and the ‘Spirit that can ne’er be told.’ Over the years, I learned more about Texas A&M, from the core values, amazing and time-honored traditions, and the fantastic education possibilities that only this University offers. Each and every day, I grew more and more eager to be a Fightin’ Texas Aggie; and many of my friends would attest that I’ve annoyed them more than once with my admiration and love for Texas A&M.”

What do you hope to gain being a Yell Leader?

“As a Yell Leader, I would aim to have an impact on every student from every part of our campus. At a University as large as ours, it is difficult to reach every group and individual, but We Are the Aggies, and the Aggies are We. It is important that each Aggie feels like a part of the 12th Man in order to maintain the tradition and spirit of this place. I know that when I first came here, I felt the most overwhelming sense of support and love from everyone I met, and as Yell Leader I want to serve every Aggie with that same love and support.”

Cane’s or Laynes?

“LAYNES!”

How will A&M benefit from you as a Yell Leader?

“Overtime, our traditions and spirit have held firm, but our student body and campus have changed drastically. I believe I have a background and experience similar to much of the student body, and I would represent that Aggie experience in the position of Yell Leader. I think it is important that, in a position that requires you to serve as an ambassador of Texas A&M, you represent not only our traditions and spirit but the students that make A&M the special place that it is.”

Cats or Dogs?

“Even easier than the Canes or Layne’s question: Dogs!”

What is one thing most people don’t know about you?

“Something that most people don’t know about me is that I enjoy playing and writing music. I’m far from a Cody Johnson, especially when it comes to singing; but I love spending time on the guitar and playing a few ol’ country songs. My favorite part about music is how it brings people together, and nothing beats singing Wagon Wheel around the campfire with your closest friends."

What has been the best part of this campaign so far?

“The best part of this campaign is, without a doubt, meeting so many amazing Aggies that I otherwise might not have met. To have men and women come out and support me, without having known me before fills me with feelings of appreciation and humility. Overall, it has been a reminder that I am blessed to be a part of the Aggie Family."

To find out more, go to yellforchase.com and make sure to vote February 25th and 26th!