5 Unexpected Changes That Happen In The Limbo Between High School And College

Our lives are changing in weird ways we weren't expecting.

Keleri
Keleri
284

I've been looking forward to college pretty much from the day I started high school. I've finally graduated, but college doesn't start for another two months, and currently, I, like many other soon-to-be freshmen, am stuck in the limbo between high school and college.

Here are some of the bizarre changes and feelings I've been experiencing:

1. Friendships.

From about the 4th grade on, I had been in the same school district with roughly the same group of kids. Even if I didn't speak to some of them, I knew who they all were. And being in advanced classes, my classmates usually ranged from about 50 students out of the 400 in my graduating class.

My point is I've seen a lot of these people nearly every day for the past eight years and now we're all splitting up in different, crazy directions. My former classmates are spreading out all over and it's a weird feeling acknowledging that I will never see some of these people ever again. On the other hand, I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with the friends I have because I know it's going to be hard splitting from them when fall comes.

2. Relationships.

Many of us were involved in relationships throughout high school, and the thought of college can really throw the relationship right off-track. I just recently split from my long-term boyfriend, partially because I'm moving away to go to Western. Unfortunately, this seems to be a relatively common thing that occurs in the summer limbo.

3. The Living Situation.

As of right now, I don't know what my future dorm room looks like or even what room it's in! Housing assignments don't come out for freshmen until August, and while the prospect of moving out is super exciting, it's also terrifying! I've never actually lived away from my parents and I can't help but be worried about being out there on my own.

Then again, I guess it's really "on my own," because I'm going to have roommates! But still, it's hard to look at my current bedroom and think about how I'm going to have a completely different room in just a few months. In addition to the thoughts about the room itself, I'm trying to buy furniture and decorations for it which has been proving a little difficult since I don't know quite what I need yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out later, but for now, I have a small stack of "dorm room things" sitting in my bedroom.

4. Gifts.

This topic isn't as much of a college change rather than an adulthood change. This past year I noticed that the gifts I received from my family had a drastic change in their purpose. When I was younger, the presents were mainly about giving me entertainment of some kind. But now, the gifts I'm receiving have a much more practical outlook.

For my birthday, almost all of my presents from my mother were geared towards college, namely my dorm room. I received a shower caddy, a pair of shower shoes, and a power strip, to name a few. While I'll miss receiving the more "fun" items, I do have to say that I appreciate her getting me gifts that I'll get practical use out of.

5. Expectations.

Honestly, the weirdest feeling I'm experiencing is being unsure of what to expect. Throughout all of high school, I always sort of knew what the next year would hold for me, especially with the strict graduation requirements and lack of variety in classes. But there are so many different classes available at Western and just trying to casually look through them can feel overwhelming. My older friends have told me about their college experience, but I still don't know what exactly to expect. I feel like I'm going in a little blind. But even with all the weird feelings I'm experiencing right now, I'm overall for excited for the future.