You Can't 'Save The Turtles' Just By Using A Paper Straw​

You Can't #SaveTheTurtles JUST By Using A Paper Straw​

There are so many more important, more effective products we need to switch up in order to make a difference.

96

For quite some time now, people have been ditching the plastic straws for paper or metal ones in an effort to "save the turtles."

While this is a step in the right direction, plastic straws are not the issue here.

Ever notice that some of the places giving you paper straws or sippy lids instead of plastic straws are still giving your drink to you in a giant plastic cup? Different food places who advertise "going green" and "saving the planet" are still handing out to-go meals in plastic containers. All of these different plastics are a big part of the marine crisis, and the straw is only a small part. So, why does it seem to be the only thing big corporations are making a push towards fixing?

In a study done in 2015, Jenna Jambeck of the University of Georgia found that every year, over 8 million tons of plastic end up in the ocean. About 80 percent of that number comes from land-based activities, such as industry and surge drain waste. This number is dangerously affecting our oceans and all of the species that inhabit them.

The biggest issue within the plastic industry is single-use plastic items, items we use once then immediately throw away.

These items seem convenient and easy because they are, but we do not realize the damage we are doing when using them.

With that being said, there are some very simple changes you can make to your everyday life to reduce waste from single-use plastic items. One of the most obvious options to help decrease waste is to ditch the plastic grocery bags and buy a reusable one to take every time you go. Reusable grocery bags can be found at almost every local grocery store and can be as cheap as $2.99.

Additional single-use plastic items include plastic water bottles, plastic packaging materials, plastic to-go containers, and yes, plastic straws. Some easy replacements for those include a reusable water bottle, which not only helps to save the planet, but I find it helps me to drink more water throughout the day. Plastic packaging materials are more prevalent than I originally thought, and one example of this would be to buy bars of soap rather than a liquid soap that comes in the plastic bottle. When going to a restaurant or food establishment that you know has plastic to-go containers, if you think you are going to have leftovers, bring your own Tupperware to take your food home in.

Someone has to say it: paper straws are the worst to drink out of. I get it.

But, when you think about the bigger picture, it makes drinking out of them slightly less miserable. If you really can't stand them, grab a metal straw and take that when you go out to eat!

By simply reducing our use of single-use plastic items and recycling whenever we can, we can make a big difference in helping to save our oceans and planet. We only have one planet, and we need to start making changes, however small they may seem if we want to continue living on it.