7 Struggles Of Celebrating Passover But Not Easter

2. We can't eat bread.

255
Wikimedia

Easter is coming up this Sunday, and that means a whole lot of candy, pastel, dresses, sun, and easter eggs. Not only is Easter coming up, but Passover is as well. Passover (or, to be exact, Pesach, in Hebrew), is the celebration of the Jewish freedom from slavery. A seder takes place over a traditional dinner, while prayers are said in between. However, Passover is not the most exciting holiday, unlike Easter. And I'll explain why.

1. There are no exciting activities, unlike Easter.

Easter: "Go hunt for the easter eggs, there's a reward of $10 million worth of chocolate and sunshine and rainbows!"

Passover: "Here, try some parsley dipped in saltwater. It's delicious."

2. We can't eat bread.

Passover lasts a whole week, and this means we can't eat bread or anything that is even slightly contaminated with flour. This is because when the Jews were freed from the Pharaoh, they left so quickly that their bread did not have time to rise. Thus, we honor this by eating matzah, which is unleavened bread that tastes like a bland cracker.

Yet, we still find ourselves devouring it throughout the whole Seder. Then there are those lucky Easter-celebrating ones, probably eating their weight in chocolate and jellybeans and bread. I mean, come on, carbs are basically 90% of my diet; whatever will I do without them!?

3. Leftovers consist of matzah, matzah, and even more matzah.

Heyyyy, guess what's for breakfast? Matzah french toast! And we're having burgers with matzah buns for lunch.

4. The songs that are stuck in your head for weeks to come.

One word: DAYENU. Don't look it up, I beg of you.

5. Being forced to read the four questions.

Ma Nishtana (The Four Questions) asks why Passover is different from any other night. Usually, the youngest child in the family is supposed to read them. I, however, always get stuck reading them because my younger sister refuses to do it. I bet there's no force to choke out your minimal Hebrew skills on Easter, right?

6. Being hungry but having to sit through endless prayers before you can actually eat.

The whole Haggadah must be finished before anything can be eaten. This may take a good 20-30 minutes, depending on the speed. Only parsley dipped in salt water, a bite of matzah, and a bite of charoset (chopped apples mixed with cinnamon and wine) can be taken. Totally bad for my hunger. Not fair, because on Easter, everyone gets to dig in right away.

7. The worst thing of all: wasting the juice.

Ok, for the sake of being underage, I'm not going to talk about how I drink "juice". When Pharaoh refused to set the Jews free, God punished him with ten plagues. At a seder, one must take ten drops of their wine (oops, juice) and place them on their plates to represent these plagues. However, this means we get less to drink. Come on, this is the only thing that can get me through this long process.