6 Reasons I Choose To Celebrate Healthy Relationships Week

As a proud member of Alpha Chi Omega, this week means so much to both my sisterhood and to me.

244
Alpha Chi Omega HQ

Being a member of Alpha Chi Omega has shed light to many issues such as domestic violence awareness. DVA is Alpha Chi Omega's national philanthropy. As an Alpha Chi, I have had the opportunity to participate in many philanthropic events and workshops to further advocate and put an end to this occurrence in the world today. Learning about DVA has allowed me to understand what is expected from any relationship within my life, romantic or friendship. I feel incredibly blessed to have more than one healthy relationship in my life. This past week was Alpha Chi Omega's "Healthy Relationship Week". My sorority attempted to educate the college community on what a healthy relationship is, as well as bring awareness to domestic violence.

1. My Family

My family is 100% my absolute everything. My relationship with my family is so strong, because we continuously make the effort to be close. Some people do not get super close with their family or their siblings, I however, grew up the exact opposite but I wouldn't have it any other way. I also want to give a quick shout out to my immediate family for always making me laugh and for being a good time every time we get together -- especially Maverick, my cousin, who is one of my closest friends and one of my favorite people to hangout with.

2. Room 4

I love love love my roommates in Alpha Chi. These girls accept me for who I am. They listen and they give me the advice I need to hear. They support me on a rough or stressful day. They are both a shoulder to cry and rely on. They constantly uplift my spirits, and most importantly, they make me a better person. These girls have made my experience within a sorority worth it. I had strove for so long to find girls that would truly have my back and be there for me through all of my trials and tribulations, and I am happy to say that I have finally found that. Caroline, Lauren and Erika, thank you for being the friends that I prayed so hard I would have and find someday. You three mean so much to me and thank you for making my college experience a memorable one. You guys make me happy everyday. To the frequent Room 4 visitors, you are also the best. Thanks for always visiting and checking in.

3. My High School Friend

My high school best friend, unfortunately, now goes to another school in Indiana. Although we don't get to see each other as often as we would both like, every time we talk it is like we've picked back up from where we left off. Jade brings out my goofy side, and she is always down for a fun time. We have so many inside jokes and I honestly love it. To have someone that has stuck with me since high school is truly the best gift I can ask for. Jade supports me in whatever decision I make, she reminds me of my worth, and she also reminds me not to take life too seriously. Jade's wild, supportive, and adventurous soul makes me honored to be such great friends with her.

4. My Long Distance Friend

My long distance friend still goes to the same college that I previously transferred from. I have always been the type of girl that naturally gets along with guys better, and Kyle is the best example. Kyle is always down for a drive with country music, a vent session, or a late night food run. He is so logical when presented difficult scenarios, and is so so intelligent beyond his years. Sometimes when making the decision to transfer, you wonder if you will ever be able to maintain the same level of friendship as before. This is not the case with our relationship. Kyle and I still talk almost everyday and I always feel updated on his life. Our relationship is so healthy, because it is mutual.

5. My Friend Older Than Me

I have had the pleasure of knowing my other guy best friend for several years now. From the moment we met, I knew this guy was going to make a great friend. We are able to bond over so many things, and I feel as if he understands me. I never have to question or second guess what I say around Kushal, because he does not judge. Our relationship is so healthy because we take the time to truly listen to each other. Communication and unwavering support are two of the biggest things I look for in a relationship. I am so happy to of had the right intuition about Kushal, because without him, I would not of been sane through the various difficulties that presented themselves in my life.

6. The Family Friend(s)

This goes out to my little brothers, Alex and Justin (Justin pictured). You both have been the brothers I have always wanted. We laugh and joke like siblings, but we have the ability to sit down and have meaningful, deep conversations. I have such a great time every time we hangout. You guys keep me on the edge of my seat.

There are so many additional relationships that I have and continue to care for in my life. I am both honored and appreciative for all those that have been there for me. In honor of this week, I wanted to take the time to say thank you. Thank you all for making me the person I am today, and also for making life a heck of a lot more fun.