Ceasefire For Syria, Will It Hold Out?

Ceasefire For Syria, Will It Hold Out?

Long efforts will begin on Monday.
7

The United States and Russia have met on an agreement with a cease-fire renewal in Syria this past Friday in Geneva, Switzerland.

Hopefully, in the upcoming seven days, there will be a discontinuation from all air and ground fire by all parties, including the Syrian government and its president, Bashar al-Assad.

"Today we are announcing an arrangement that we think has the capability of sticking," said Secretary of State John Kerry, "but it's dependent on people's choices,"

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is compromising for the cease-fire to pull through, then work on military coordination on the efforts on ISIS and the al Nusra Front.

Al Nusra Front is an affiliate of al Qaeda, a group that has planned attacks inside and outside of Syria, including possible attacks directed at the U.S.

The Syrian regime has been informed on the terms of the arrangement and was prepared to adhere them.This agreement is a landmark after several months of denied efforts for a ceasefire with the Assad government and rebels.

Staffan de Mistura, the United Nations Special Envoy for Syria was in Geneva to signify this ceasefire will be happening.

“The United Nations hopes that the political will that led to this understanding is sustained,” he said. “It creates a real window of opportunity, which all relevant actors in the region and beyond should seize to put the crisis in Syria on a different path and ease the violence and suffering being endured by the Syrian people."

This can have humanitarian results for countless Syrian lives.

Syria has been going through a five-year war within itself. It is an on-going multi-sided armed conflict, which obviously calls for international intervention. Hundreds of thousands have left and sought refuge in neighboring countries and other regions.

Kerry stated that the Assad air force is the “main driver of civilian casualties.” The amount of bombings in Syria and against Nusra rebels has left many civilian neighborhoods in disaster with too many innocent deaths.

Russia also did bombings in Aleppo, a city that has a great amount of rebel enforcements.This bombing cut food supply, and several people, including children, were killed.Russia has several ties with Assad, which has cooperated with arms dealing and collaboration through the Syrian civil war.

To have great cooperation between Russia and the U.S. is the biggest coordination in order to strategize the reduction of causalities in Syria is to prevent the amount of air-bombing in the cities.

The U.S. administration has always scrutinized Russia’s involvement. Since there has been an agreement to seek for humanitarian aid and to provide support for Syrian people that are suffering, this is a high award in delegation.

This will not change a transition to the Syrian government with Assad as the political leader, but this is a great milestone between the trio who have been in different angles through Syria’s turmoil.