What The CDC's "Banned Word" List Could Mean

Last week, a CDC press revealed they were given a list of suggested words to remove from official documents.

174
WorldStrides

Diversity. Fetus. Transgender. Evidence-based. Science-based. Vulnerable. Entitlement. What do these seven words have in common? They’re on the list of the suggested “banned” words given in a briefing last week between the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and representatives of the Trump administration.

Contrary to popular belief, these words were not officially banned in any way, but rather used as a bargaining tool in order to control the information that the CDC is putting out. Recently, Congress created a budget plan for 2018 that outlines major cuts for necessities such as healthcare, education, and environmental conservation. The CDC, a federal health services agency, faces a budget cut of over 1 billion dollars, with a 17% decrease after last year’s budget. The briefing made the purpose for the list of words clear – agree to the Trump administrations terms, don’t use them in any official document, and the CDC might be given a larger budget.

Since then, the CDC has confirmed that they plan to continue using these words. And although the budget increase was most likely an empty promise, there are many things wrong with this exchange. Both the freedom to speech and the right to information are being disregarded here. The government should not withhold information from its citizens, especially in a case like this where information can have a direct impact on someone’s health.

Words such as ‘science-based’ and ‘evidence-based’ are important to include because they help others make an informed decision. People are more likely to choose healthcare procedures and treatments that have been backed by through scientific research. ‘Diversity’ and ‘entitlement’ imply that both that there is a hierarchy between different identities and that this needs to change by providing equal opportunities for everybody. In healthcare, this is especially important because it ensures that everyone receives high quality treatment no matter who they are. ‘Vulnerable’ can help spread information about who is most at risk in case of a health threat.

The removal of ‘fetus’ would force ‘baby’ to be used instead, which is a statement regarding the Trump administration’s views on abortion. Using ‘fetus’ instead of ‘baby’ would help to sever emotional connection between a woman and her unborn child, while removing it would be a small but sure step towards the pro-life movement. This could directly affect a woman’s abortion decision.

Finally, the use of ‘transgender’ in public health information can help to educate people who are experiencing a disconnect in gender and sex, and using the word will help to normalize it and make it more common. To remove this would be taking resources away from those who need it and moving a step away from the diversity in information organizations like the CDC are trying to achieve.

“Banning” words is a direct violation of rights. American citizens deserve to be presented with any information their government has. We deserve a government that helps us and keeps us safe, not takes things away from us. It’s a scary thought to reflect on what other things might be kept from the people.