CBD For CrossFit Performance: Does It Help?

CrossFit can be very taxing on the body and cause you to feel sore and exhausted.

12

CrossFit is a high-intensity workout consisting of movements such as squatting, pushing and pulling. These workouts help you lose weight and burn calories faster than you would if you did a regular workout.However, CrossFit can be very taxing on the body and cause you to feel sore and exhausted. Recent studies have revealed that CBD can help alleviate pain and inflammation in athletes and improve their performance. Let’s explain more on whether CBD can help boost CrossFit performance.

Is it illegal to use CBD in sports?

The World Anti-Doping Agency, WADA, created a list of prohibited substances in competitive sports. Any drug, substance or additive that poses a health risk to the athlete, increases performance during the sport or ruins the spirit of the sport, eventually makes it to this list. Fortunately, CBD is not on this list, meaning you can use any CBD product in competition or during training. However, it would be wise to ensure you only use a reputable vendor. Every athlete is subjected to a drug test before they can participate in CrossFit competitions. You wouldn’t want to use CBD products laced with THC and get disqualified.

Benefits of CBD for athletes

We all know of the numerous health benefits of CBD, including pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties. Here are some reasons you should incorporate CBD into your routine.

Improved quality of sleep

After a workout, it is crucial that you get enough sleep to allow your muscles time to repair themselves. Studies show that pain can result in disturbed sleep. Since CBD is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, athletes who consume CBD products before bed can fall asleep faster after the muscle aches subside. CBD can also help with sleep as it alleviates chronic anxiety, which can mess with your sleep-wake cycles and prevent you from catching some much-needed Zs.

Alleviates pain and inflammation

Athletes' most significant problem when performing CrossFit workouts is pain and inflammation. Recovery after a workout also becomes pretty tedious, especially when your muscles are sore and stiff. CBD can alleviate the soreness after a training session, making you look forward to your next workout. Prolonged use of CBD has resulted in improved performance in athletes.

Increased muscle endurance

CrossFit workouts are intense, and the average human being could get tired after thirty seconds. You need top endurance levels to compete well during sports. While we appreciate that it might take years of training to build muscle and stamina, CBD could also help increase your muscle endurance so you can get more out of your workout. Increased endurance ultimately means better performance.

The recommended CBD dosage in CrossFit

CBD dosage is not a one size fits all kind of deal. Factors that will affect your CBD consumption include your age, metabolism and weight. Your regular dosage might be too high for someone else or vice versa. If you are new to CBD products, it would be wise to start with small amounts and watch how your body will respond. If you don’t experience the desired results after a few days, you could increase your dosage and proceed with training. There is no need to up your dosage if you achieve the results you were hoping for.

Popular CBD products among athletes

Over-the-counter drugs have adverse effects on athletes’ health, who use them to alleviate pain and inflammation. CBD is an excellent alternative to these drugs and works just as good, if not better than over-the-counter medicines. Here are some of the various ways to use CBD as a CrossFit athlete.

CBD Vapes

Vapes are the fastest way to get CBD into your bloodstream. These vaporized pens can also help you quit bad habits such as smoking and lead a healthier lifestyle. In addition to that, CBD vaporizer pens are easy to use as they eliminate the need for rolling paper. However, there is still a debate on the effects of vaping on delicate lung tissues. Therefore, it would be wise to proceed cautiously.

CBD oils

If you are not comfortable taking pills, you could switch to using CBD oils. These products come with droppers that help you measure your intake so you don’t consume too much. Experts recommend you drop the CBD oil under your tongue, where the capillaries in the oral mucosa will facilitate the speedy absorption of CBD into your bloodstream.

CBD cream

CrossFit athletes are no strangers to aching muscles and joints. CBD creams are an excellent option if you want pain relief in specific body parts. All you need to do is apply the cream to the muscle or the joint and leave it to work. In addition to the ease of use, the body tends to respond to the product relatively fast. Perhaps you can carry your CBD cream in your sports bag for easy access anytime you feel pain or stiffness.

Wrapping up

Pain, soreness and inflammation are somewhat part and parcel of an athlete’s life. The beauty is that the anti-inflammatory properties in CBD can help alleviate your pain, allowing you to put out your best during training sessions and competitions.