4 Causes of Adult Acne and How to Get Rid of It

5 Common Causes of Adult Acne and What to Do About It

For a lot of people, acne doesn't disappear after the teenage years. Here's why you're still getting acne and what you can do about it.

10

Adult acne is one of the most annoying skin conditions that never seems to go away. Here are some common acne causes and treatments that can help you understand how to combat your pesky acne.

Hormone Imbalance

The main cause of adult acne in females is hormone imbalance. Our hormones fluctuate throughout our menstrual cycle, specifically while we're on our period. The changes in hormone levels can lead to breakouts and painful cystic acne. Birth control can help to balance hormones and reduce acne. If you don't want to use birth control, try using products that can help treat and prevent acne such as Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide. These products are great for all kinds of acne causes and treatments because they literally dry out your pimples.

Stress

Stress is another main cause of adult acne. When we stress ourselves out, our hormones can be thrown out of wack and lead to really bad acne all over the face. If you are getting stress acne, the best way to treat it is by reducing your stress. Try doing things that help you unwind at the end of a stressful day. You can meditate, do yoga, read a book, go for a run, or really anything that puts your mind to ease. Once you start to alleviate your stress, you'll quickly see a reduction in acne.

Eating Habits

A huge reason why a lot of college adults get acne is because they are eating poorly. When you're balling on a budget, it's easy to opt for cheap foods that offer very little nutritional value. But this is actually what's causing your skin to break out. If you're eating healthy but still think your skin is breaking out because of your eating habits, you may have a food intolerance. This means that a food that isn't necessarily unhealthy, such as dairy or seafood, causes you to break out. To find which foods are causing breakouts, keep a journal of the foods you eat each day, and the condition of your skin. If you find that you always break out after eating dairy, you will want to cut that out of your diet to prevent any future breakouts.

Daily Skincare Routine

Not only is it important to take care of your skin every day, but you need to make sure you're using the right products for your skin type. People with oily skin should not be using products for people with dry skin. This can lead to constant acne that can otherwise be avoided. For acne prone skin, make sure you wash your face with a gentle cleanser in the morning and evening. You should moisturize with something that isn't too oily, as that can clog your pores and lead to more acne. I love using a tea tree moisturizer because while it moisturizes my skin, it also pulls the excess oil and fights acne. You should also be exfoliating every 2 or 3 days. This pulls dirt and excess oil keeping your face protected from impurities that lead to acne.