Carolina For The Kids Has My Heart

Carolina For The Kids Has My Heart

I don't regret in the slightest signing up for their 24-hour-long dance marathon.

155
Carolina For The Kids Has My Heart
Carolina for the Kids

Standing up for 24 hours seems like a near impossible task. It gets exhausting, painful and you want to give up. Yet, year after year, hundreds of students at UNC-Chapel Hill pledge to stand on their feet for an entire day for Carolina for the Kids.

Every year, UNC-Chapel Hill hosts a 24-hour-long dance marathon sponsored by Carolina for the Kids. There's hedgehogs, games, a walk at sunrise and, of course, dancing. There’s something for everyone at the dance marathon, and it creates memories that will last a lifetime. I signed up for the dance marathon in my freshman year, unsure of what was in store. Everyone seemed so energetic, peppy and loud. Being more on the introverted side, I didn’t know if I would quite fit.

It ended up being one of the most rewarding experiences ever. There were so many times where I thought about giving up, but then remembered why I was standing. I was standing for all the families who have to fight 24 hours, day after day. I was standing to support the families who shouldn’t have to focus on money; instead, the focus should be on spending time with their family.

The last hour of the marathon was my personal favorite, as well as anyone who’s ever done the marathon before. Family hour. The families of the children that Carolina for the Kids sponsors come out and share their personal stories and the different ways that Carolina for the Kids has helped them. It makes you realize how much one person can help a family, even if it seems like you’re not directly doing anything. You do.

Carolina for the Kids is a student-led organization that works with the nearby UNC Children’s Hospital. All year long, committee members and dancers alike fundraise for the children and their families in the system at the UNC Children’s hospital. These funds help with gas, meals, medical expenses and more. Beyond that, Carolina for the Kids helps with the emotional needs of the families. Having a child in the hospital can be an incredibly emotionally taxing time, so Carolina for the Kids supports and helps as much as they can.

Along with the families that Carolina for the Kids sponsors, the money the organization raises also goes to other events within the hospital. Parents’ Night Out is an event for the parents in the hospital, because Carolina for the Kids provides hot and healthy meals to everyone at the event. A much-welcome change from the regular hospital food that the families there grow to know all too well. Along with the For the Kids Fund, Carolina for the Kids helps sponsor the Pediatric Playroom. This is a room that is IV friendly, so that all the children are welcome to go, play and just be a regular kid again.

After I joined the dance marathon last year, I decided to get more involved this year and be on a committee within the organization. It’s 100 percent worthwhile to join and get involved. I have not regretted for a second participating in the dance marathon. It might be hard, but it’s worth it once you see the children in the talent show they put on and hear the families speak of how much Carolina for the Kids has helped them. Standing up for 24 hours and pledging to be a dancer is one of the best decisions I made.