Back to Job Openings

Senior Software Engineer at Odyssey

Indianapolis, IN

Odyssey is looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our growing team. This role is focused on both front-end and back-end web development in a distributed environment that powers theodysseyonline.com. This can include a variety of projects such as enhancing viewability and discoverability of our articles, improving search quality, or enhancing the experience and workflows of our creators. Core products and features include our main site, our content creation tools, our advertising methods, and our video capabilities. Our engineers are empowered to make business decisions and to be part of the product definition process, and you will be expected to be capable of leading projects of various sizes.

Our Stack

• Front-end: React, Redux, Webpack, ES6
  • Back-end: Node, Express
  • Data-layer: SQL Server, Azure Storage, Redis, GraphQL
  • Infrastructure: Azure Resource Manager, Linux (Ubuntu), Docker, Docker Swarm, PM2, Nginx
  • QA: Jest, Selenium WebDriver, Drone (CI)

What we expect of you

• Experience with JavaScript and Node.js.
  • Experience with SQL Server or other SQL solutions.
  • Knowledge of NoSQL solutions.
  • Quick thinker and problem solver.
  • Able to work autonomously and lead projects.
  • Be a team player with a positive and helpful attitude towards peers.
  • A focus on quality, performance, and managing systematic effects.
  • BS or MS in Computer Science or a similar degree.

Bonus points if you...

• Have experience with .NET MVC, Knockout, or Durandal.
  • Have knowledge or interest in video players and encoding.
  • Have knowledge or interest in advertising and monetization.
  • Have knowledge of distributed computing, big data, Lambda Architecture, and other buzzwords.
  • Have worked in a cloud-based environment using solutions in Azure or AWS.
  • Have foundational knowledge of microservice architectures.
  • Have experience with Apache technologies such as Apache Spark, Apache Cassandra, or Apache Kafka.
  • Enjoy working in many areas across the stack.
  • Can help us win a difficult game of Pandemic.

Odyssey is ushering in a shift in social media to bring complete, broader, more trusted ideas to the world. Launched in 2014, the social media platform empowers more than 15,000 local, millennial content creators to express what’s important to them and share it organically across their own social networks. As a result, Odyssey exposes its audience—more than 30 million strong and growing rapidly—to broader, more thoughtful, more honest perspectives on topics they care about.

Odyssey's engineering team represents the brain behind our Platform. Every engineer on the team plays a key role in defining, building, and maintaining the platform. Successful engineers are fast learners of new technologies, passionate about development, and can deliver within deadlines.

At Odyssey, our culture is at the heart of our company and your career potential is unlimited. The Odyssey offers a comprehensive benefits package including: health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, and flex hours. All benefits listed are subject to change. Odyssey is an equal opportunity employer.

Interested parties should email resume and link to LinkedIn profile to careers@theodysseyonline.com