Car Accident FAQs

Car Accident FAQs

Car Accident

43
Car Accident FAQs

Accidents happen. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

estimates that more than 36,000 car accidents occurred in the United States in 2019. That's almost 1000 accidents every day!

So how do you survive a car accident in case you got into one? How do you handle the unexpected health bills that come with a car accident? We put together the following guide for frequently asked car accident questions.

What to do in a Car Accident

A car accident puts passengers in a state of shock, so it’s good to learn what to do ahead of time. The right information will help you avoid worsening the accident. Some of the things you can do are:

Minimize damage:

The first thing to do is minimize the accident's impact as much as you can. For example, you can slow down to avoid hitting an oncoming vehicle with as much force as you would. Aim for a clear area or a small shrub instead.

Calm yourself:

You might experience shock or confusion. Everything happened so fast. Calm yourself for at least a minute with deep breathing exercises.

Assess the state of your body:

Examine yourself for any cuts, bruises, or pain. Arrest any bleeding and try to keep any broken limbs immobile to prevent a possible injury from becoming worse.

Turn off your car:

In an accident, you don't know the extent of the damage. Your fuel tank might be affected, or there might be a flammable object nearby. You should switch off your engine and wait.

Call for help:

If you can find your phone, call 911 immediately. If you can't, try to find someone nearby that might be of assistance to you.

Check up on your fellow passengers:

If you have other people in the car, check them for injuries and shock. Reassure them that everything will be fine.

What to do After a Car Accident?

After a car accident, there are going to be unexpected bills on your plate. You have to fix your car's wreckage, get yourself examined. If your kids, partner, or pets were involved in the accident, you must also get them examined.

Here are the steps you should take immediately after a car accident:

• Take pictures: They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and it's true. In the event of an accident, you might be jittery and forget important information. Taking pictures helps to supplement your memory and serves as evidence in the case of any disputes or legal issues. If your phone is damaged, try getting a phone from anyone. Send the pictures to any of your social media accounts.
  • Call the police: Even if you're the one who caused the accident, call the police. It's vital to call the police immediately if an accident happens to inspect the scene and take down the necessary information. Make sure you talk calmly to the police, explaining everything that happened. Don't lie about anything or twist the truth.
  • Talk to the other driver involved: If it was a head-on collision, it means another car was involved too. If you can walk to the other driver, do so. Engage calmly and avoid confrontation or passing the bulk. Don't discuss repairs or compensation until you speak to a car accident lawyer. If you do, it makes it harder for a lawyer to negotiate on your behalf.
  • Trade insurance information: A lot of drivers forget this crucial step. Trading insurance information helps you keep in touch with the other party or parties involved. The other party's insurance information also lets you know what you are up against and what fees you might cover.
  • Get legal help: You need to seek legal help for compensation and insurance policies. You can claim compensation or get extra cash to foot those sudden bills. According to the Soffer Firm, car accident victims can claim compensation even if they were in the wrong¹. Don't worry about astronomical legal fees. Unless you get compensation, you can pay absolutely nothing with some Miami accident lawyers.²
  • Take some time off to rest: A car accident, even a minor one, can take a severe toll on your health. Take some time off so that you can fully recover. During this time, you can forgive yourself of any guilt or grieve any loss your way. If you can take a break from driving, do so at least until you are sure you are okay and ready to hit the road again.
  • See a therapist: Sometimes the impact of a car crash might affect you mentally more than physically. PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is one condition for those who go through accidents, including car accidents. You might also feel scared of driving again or at moderate speed. Talk to your therapist about all your feelings, and you will get help.

What Should I Do if I Was Hit by a Hit-and-Run Driver?

Not all drivers stay at the scene after an accident. Some speed off as soon as they can, probably due to fear or as an escape from responsibility. These kinds of drivers, called 'hit-and-run' drivers, would get away from the situations as soon as they could.

If you suspect the other driver wants to speed off or is already doing so, take note of his license plate number. Then, relay this information to the police. Gather evidence of the driver's damage to their car to aid the police and any legal personnel that would be involved. The police will take over the case and find the erring driver.

How Do I File An Accident Claim?

After recovering from an accident, your next concern will be how to file an accident claim. Meet with an experienced, qualified car accident lawyer to find out what the time frame for that statute of limitations is in your state.

Jesse Soffer, the principal Miami auto accident lawyer of the Soffer Law Firm tells us “although only a small number of these instances go to court, it is vital to understand the deadlines that must be adhered to if you wish to bring a personal injury claim against a car accident. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Florida, including car accident claims, is four years.”

Ask your lawyer what documents are needed, and what conditions are required for your claim to be valid. If your lawyer believes you have a case, they can then file an accident claim on your behalf and even represent you in court, should there be need.

Can I Return to My Normal Life After a Car Crash?

Yes. You can have a completely regular life after a car crash, depending on the type of injuries you sustain. If it's a minor accident, it might shake you for a few hours, and that's it.

But if it's a major accident, the odds can be lower which is why it’s imperative to file a claim with a well-reviewed lawyer. They can help get the compensation you need to pay for things that will help your quality of life like Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, etc.

Conclusion:

Remember, accidents can happen even to the best of drivers. You can't know precisely when one would strike, but you can prepare ahead for one. Have emergency contacts and your medical information on your phone or in a small book in your car.

It also helps you to have an attorney's contact at hand, particularly a car accident attorney. Car accidents are unfortunate, but with the steps in this article, you can lessen their impact on your everyday life.