Captain's Log: A Digital Detox Transcript

It was a long day.

81
Brennan Tolman

During week one of winter term, my journalism 201 professor informed us of an assignment that would require us to go on a "digital detox" for eight hours, and then write an essay about our experience. This included all forms of media: social media, books, TV, movies, Internet, news, etc. It had to be done during our free time (so we couldn't be at school, work, or doing homework), and we had to be awake the whole time. I took notes on the little details of my day for the essay, and I've decided to publish them in order to allow a closer look into my thoughts during the detox.

Right at10:00 am, I silenced my phone before constructing a cover so only the clock on the screen would show for emergencies. I then wrote inspirational things like "Don't check phone! Learn something new! #nope."

I felt pretty confident at 10:08 am. I decided to put more effort into breakfast than just cereal. Thank God coffee is acceptable for this challenge.

The first feeling of "itchiness" occurred at 10:10 am as I left my phone face down on my nightstand, and I knew reality had set in.

I saw my parents' new salt and pepper shakers at 10:12 am. They're white dinosaurs with gold bowties. I wanted to Snapchat them before I remembered what I was doing.

I announced to parents the hours of my detox at 10:16 am. Two seconds later, Dad, the jokester, said "Hey Abby, do you want to watch this new movie I got? Ohhhh." I made a mental note to call him out in my essay.

I got distracted in the middle of writing the last journal entry at 10:19 am because I pet our kitten, Berlioz. He's gotten bigger in the two weeks since I've seen him. Time is an unforgiving force.

Dad lent me his "faux Rolex" watch at 10:25 am since all mine are dead (I also haven't worn them for probably a year). When I showed him my phone cardboard cover, an angel/devil scenario occurred in my conscience for a brief moment with the urge to check it. The angel won.

My first mistake at 10:30 am: I had set an alarm on my phone for 10:30 in case I wasn't awake yet to start the detox. Dad took it from me to turn it off while I told him that was cheating. He read me a notification out of curiosity and I told him he wasn't supposed to do that. His defense was "I'm telling you a story," and I knew it was going to be a long day.

My phone lit up with another notification at 10:36 am. Part of me was glad I didn't have to check it.

I made myself a nice breakfast around 11:20 am. I sat across from my sister at the breakfast table, but she was watching a show on her phone (I had to ask her to get earbuds as well). I can't remember the last time I ate breakfast without being on my phone, which is kind of sad. I told my Dad I was bored and he said: "Hi Bored, I'm Dad;" he is enjoying this too much.

Dad came back five minutes later and showed me a pack of cards called Story Forge which helps to write stories since he knows I can't read books today without writing one. I asked him if it was a board game, and he said: "not exactly." I told him I can't play board games either. He tossed the instructional booklet and stared at me incredulously.

I had him to explain it to me anyway because I wanted to spend time with him. He justified the "game" by calling it "A fun and powerful tool for Novelists, Screenwriters, Playwrights, and Game Masters" (he read that from off of the box). We came up with the basics of two stories before watching our cat Gandalf's usual hijinks and showing how proud of himself he was by knocking the mail to the floor.

Mom joined in on mocking me in this assignment at 11:55 am.

The entire family had joined in on the fun by 12:13 pm and got on their phones while I sat and glared at them. I love having a supportive family.

My sister continued to hinder my educational experience by playing "The Duck Song" on her phone out loud three minutes later. I told them I would call them out for it.

I finally finished getting ready around 2:20 pm. I can't believe I'm halfway done already. My phone lit up again before leaving to run errands and I felt another "itch" to check it, but it wasn't as bad as before.

I went shopping for costume pieces with my best friend at 3:30 pm. I had instinctively reached for my phone while waiting for a dressing room and I had to stop myself.

We were going to go on an adventure to Ankeny Hill around 4:30 pm, but the "check oil" light came on in my car, so we went home to be safe.

I hadn't planned anything else to do at that point, so the last hour was very tedious and spent aimlessly walking around the house. When the clock finally struck 6:00 pm, I threw the cover off my phone and I counted 34 missed notifications. After that, I found myself entranced once again by the tiny screen, but I had a tiny voice in the back of my head asking why I felt the need to have my nose in it when I had felt confident without it for most of the day.

While media is great, it can also be very dangerous in terms of addiction; the key here is moderation. Just remember to look up every once in a while and explore all the little wonders life has to offer before it's too late.