Should Captain America Get A Boyfriend?

Should Captain America Get A Boyfriend?

Fans sure do think so

18
Should Captain America Get A Boyfriend?
dailydot.com

The popular hashtag #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend dominated Twitter this past week when fans took to the social media outlet to say that Captain America should get himself a man in the upcoming Marvel films. This boyfriend, fans thought, should be none other than his best friend Bucky, also known as "The Winter Soldier."

This idea received much support not only from fans, but also from the advocacy group GLAAD. Megan Townsend, who is GLAAD's entertainment media strategist, said in a statement that it is difficult to ignore the lack of LGBT characters in recent big budget Hollywood movies. She also noted that there are LGBT characters in the comics, but not in the on-screen adaptions.

Although I do agree with Townsend to some extent, because I believe there should be more diversity in popular films when it comes to LGBT characters, I still do not think Captain America should have a boyfriend in the upcoming Marvel films because his character is not gay in the comic books. In the older versions, along with the newer versions, Captain America is straight.

Townsend goes on to say that these characters are fictional and, therefore, "there is room for established characters to have backstories built out that we weren't aware of."

My issue with this statement is that these films are being adapted from the comic books and in the comic books that exist to this very day, Captain America is not gay. Maybe in future comics if the writers want to make him fall in love with men, then go for it. I'll be totally on board, but the fact of the matter is he just isn't into men as of now.

Sure, his backstory can still be explored and established further, but I don't think he should be gay in the films just because there is a lack of LGBT superheroes on the big screen.

Marvel has created superheroes who are representative of the LGBT community, and I think it would be better for people to focus their attention on bringing those characters to life rather than change Captain America's sexual orientation.