Capsule Wardrobes Could Save You In College, In More Than One Way

Why aren't you giving yourself the best chance for success?

72
ehards29 / Instagram

College is a tricky time. You want to have cute outfits, but you don't want to spend a ton of money trying to do it. I've never been one to be super organized, but creating a capsule wardrobe has helped me exponentially.

What is a capsule wardrobe? While definitions generally change there are a few general ideas to get you started. Most say that you should choose a color scheme, usually neutrals, with high-quality clothes. The number of items ranges from as few as you want to somewhere around 30 items, which includes tops, bottoms, shoes, and accessories. Underclothes are usually not included in the count, so have as many as you want. It's generally expected that you should choose from items you already own, but if there are a few pieces missing, go get them. Now that you know about capsule wardrobes, why should you create one?

1. You can really know your style.

If you've never sat down and had an honest talk with yourself about your style, can you really know what it is? Do you know what you feel and look good in, and how to style it? Probably not. Capsuling your wardrobe is a great way to do that because it gives you the space, time, and mindset needed to have this learning experience.

2. You can get rid of clothes you don't really wear.

I still have all of my homecoming and prom dresses, even though I know that I'm never going to wear them again. I have no excuse for keeping them. They don't fit, I don't like them anymore, and I didn't even have that good of a time at any of my school dances. Chances are that you have something that you don't need lurking in your closet. Sell it, donate it, or give it to a friend, so long as you get it out of your closet. This has the added benefit of more closet space.

3. You can set your intentions for what you really want.

This sounds like baloney, but it's not. If you know that you want to wear clothes that make you look and feel Pinterest-worthy, then you can set your wardrobe down to the items that make you feel like that. If you have a huge closet, you probably didn't spend the time buying those clothes thinking about how you want them to make you feel. You can do that now.

4. You can end decision fatigue.

Decision fatigue is a real thing and it's something you can end right now. Save yourself one major decision a day and all of your other decisions will be better off.

5. It's less expensive.

If you aren't buying clothes as often, it saves you money. This isn't complicated.

6. Decluttering helps reduce stress.

This goes along with ending decision fatigue, but decluttering really does reduce stress. It's part of the reason that spring cleaning is a thing.

7. It's better for the environment.

Not having as many clothes means you throw away fewer clothes. While this isn't everyone's priority, it is important to some people.

Here's a bonus!

8. It's Pinterest worthy.

I know, this is totally not everyone's cup of tea, but I love Pinterest. I use it daily to plan out everything from recipes to new tattoo ideas to capsule wardrobe tips. While I haven't made my own post about my capsule wardrobe, but you can!

Have fun designing your capsule wardrobe, and know that this difficult process becomes easier in the long run.