Can You Store Gold Jewelry in the Bathroom?

....

22

....

We all know that gold jewelry has a high price tag. This is particularly true if the pieces have a high number of karats. So, when you spend this amount of money on jewelry, you want to ensure that you look after it and keep it in the best condition. This is going to allow it to sparkle and look beautiful, as well as help it maintain its value.

But, what is the best way to store gold jewelry? Can you store rings, bangles or gold necklaces in the bathroom? Let’s take a closer look at what you should do.

Should You Keep Gold Jewelry in the Bathroom?

First of all, let’s answer the question and get straight to the point. No, it is not recommended that you keep gold jewelry in the bathroom. This applies whether it is in a pouch or whether you have left it out beside the sink. The bathroom is not going to be the best environment to keep gold in its best condition.

The main reason for this is that some types of gold jewelry can tarnish when it is exposed to humidity and moisture. This applies to pieces that have a low number of karats. Indeed, they do not contain as much gold and some other alloys and metals are used. So they can lead to the visible tarnishing you see when they are exposed to humidity and water.

Even if you have chosen 22-karat gold jewelry, these pieces should not be stored in the bathroom. For example, imagine you haveeveryday bangles from Queen of Hearts. They are beautiful and made from 22K gold. They should not be stored in the bathroom, as they contain some other materials which could tarnish over time.

Something to note is that if you are wearing pure gold jewelry, it is not recommended to store it in the bathroom. This is because moisture might not tarnish the gold, but it can dull its shine. So, your jewelry pieces will not look as sparkling and new as they once did. For example, there are people that choose to shower with bracelets, rings and necklaces on. While this will not do any immediate damage, it can change how it looks over time.

Tips for Storing Gold Jewelry

So, we have learned that you should not store gold jewelry in the bathroom. You do not want to run the risk of losing the shine and the moisture causing problems. Here are some tips on how you can correctly store your pieces to preserve them.

Use Cushioned Materials

The truth is that gold can be a sensitive and soft material. Yes, it does have a certain level of durability. But, compared to other materials, it can get damaged more easily. So, this is something that you want to remember if you want to keep all of your pieces looking their best.

The best way to store your jewelry is in a cushioned pouch or box. This should be made from a soft and non-abrasive material. This way, it is cushioned if you drop the piece, and it is not going to get scratched while it is not being worn.

Keep Jewelry Separate

Perhaps you have a cushioned pouch or box, and you think that you can throw all of your gold jewelry in there together. Well, this is something that is not recommended. While it might be cushioned inside, you have to remember that pieces will hit off each other. This can cause scratches and other damage.

The best thing to do is keep all of your jewelry pieces separate. This is going to ensure they do not crash together. What’s more, it is going to make it a lot easier when you go to wear it. It will not be tangled and knotted. We all know it can be a nightmare trying to untangle them.

Avoid the Sunlight

If you are somebody that is guilty of leaving your jewelry lying around, this is something you want to avoid doing if it is made from gold. Leaving this material out in the sun can mean that it appears dull and less shiny than before.

Again, the best place to store jewelry is in a pouch or box. This is going to keep it away from the sunshine and make sure that your pieces look good for many years without dulling. Again, it is also going to avoid getting tangled for the next time you want to wear it.