Can They See the Difference?

Can They See the Difference?

Do not love the world or the things in the world. 1 John 2:15a

75
Can They See the Difference?

Well, I'm not feeling particularly funny this week as my head has been rolling through many thoughts. Instead, this is basically going to be an article of the devotional I hope to do for Singing Quakers sometime.

Recently, I was confined into a very crowded car for an extended duration with a group of guys who all at least claimed to know Christ and follow him. However, it didn't take long for the filthiness of the language to ratchet up, and a few started spouting obscenities and coarse jokes that would make love-deprived atheistic sailors blush.

If someone who didn't know Christ were to have walked in on that group at the moment, they would have seen me silently deep in thought and the others raucously talking it up. What would their impression be? Would they know that Christ was our Lord? Would they have seen why we're different?

"But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written, be holy as I am holy" 1 Peter 1:16.

As Christians, we are no longer bound to the customs and habits of this world. Instead, we are meant to be holy, a word that literally means set apart. We should appear different, there should be something in our walk, talk, and lifestyle that says, "This is the new person I am in Christ." That something should be so explicit, that without a word we can be perceived as people literally out of this world.

In my often flawed opinion, one of the scariest things a non-Christian can say to me is "Oh, you're just like me." In his or her eyes, I am the utmost hypocrite, and for good reason. If I profess Christ as not just my Savior but my Lord then openly scoff at such commands as do not engage in "anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips" (Colossians 3:8), how can the gospel possibly be true in my life? If I say I believe the Bible and then fall into lust and sin sexually, logically whatever I claim to believe must be a lie, because although I claim it is powerful, it must have no power over me.

I'm not talking about sin in general. Everyone sins, all the time, and there doesn't exist such a thing as a perfect Christian. What I discuss here involves a lifestyle of disobedience and disrespect to God's Word, not just sinning because of our fallen nature.

I have found that often these intense desires to reject God at His word (pun!) come when we try to appear cool and likeable to others. How often in our attempts to fit in do we turn our back on the Bible's commands and therefore on God?

"You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." James 4:4.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." 1 John 2:15-17.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2.

These are only a few examples of where the Bible says explicitly DO NOT BE LIKE THE WORLD! There should be a difference between us and those who don't profess Christ. (Note; it doesn't say don't interact with them.)

If you've been following up to here, there's a distinct chance that you're considering me a self-righteous prick about at this time. Rest assured, I am including myself in every charge I give. Self-righteousness is something I freely admit to struggling with, but I don't think that is the case here.

Whenever someone works "at least" into a conversation, when making a comparison between themselves and others, that's self-righteousness. "I might swear, but at least not all that bad" or "I might look at pornography, but at least I don't fornicate" or "I might not love others as myself, but at least I don't go around killing people".

Righteousness of self can only survive as long as our standard is of something less than us. As soon as our focus shifts to Christ's perfection and we earnestly strive towards that goal, we realize that all pretensions of holier-than-thou must immediately fall away. "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" Matthew 5:48.

In conclusion, I can only offer up one more thought and one more verse.

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:18,19.

Following Christ in our lifestyle, to the extent that we legitimately earn others' hatred, cannot be easy. But our God is no weakling, no backstabbing deceiver who abandons us in the midst of our troubles. My prayer for myself and you all is that by His grace, may we live our lives as ambassadors for Christ in everything we say, do, and think.