Off Campus Study Spots For The Jaded BMC Underclassmen

Okay, so what if coffee shops are a no go, but you still want to get off campus?

3
Google Images

This one goes out to all the Bryn Mawr underclassmen who still have a week left of finals to take: I feel your pain. While two weeks of finals in May seems like a blessing in mid-March, when you have ten assignments due and no time to do them all, it is, in reality, a drag. These last two weeks seem to stretch on forever: without classes to go to or meetings to attend, the first weeks of May can seem like an endless, unbroken haze of waking up, going to the library, studying until your brain starts to overflow, and then a rinse and repeat.

Want to escape the finals week blues? Here are four off-campus areas you can go to take a break from the monotonous lifestyle that is finals week. Some are closer to home than others, but all will help you get re-energized and ready to finish the last week of finals with a bang.

1. Haverford's Magill Library

For those who want to get away, but are reluctant to stray too far from campus, try going to Magill to study for the day! It's only a blue bus ride away, but the change of scenery can do the world of good. You can snuggle up on one of the couches in the Phillips Wing, stay in the thick of it in the main lobby, or visit the famous Cricket Library, home to the largest collection of cricket literature and memorabilia in the Western Hemisphere. Plus you might get to say hi to Havercat!

2. Starbucks

Looking to abandon college campuses entirely? You could try working at the Starbucks on Lancaster Avenue. Enjoy a fresh atmosphere and a frappuccino while writing papers, and take a break from the same-old-same-old on campus!

3. Hot House

Want to work in a coffee shop, but think Starbucks is too mainstream? Try Hothouse coffee, located right next to the Bryn Mawr film institute! It is within walking distance from campus and makes a grilled cheese die for. Here you can load up on caffeine, and enjoy a more hustle-and-bustle atmosphere than the library while still getting your work done.

4. Ludington Library

Okay, so what if coffee shops are a no go, but you still want to get off campus? Ludington Library is just the place for you. Located right in between Starbucks and Hothouse Coffee, the Ludington Library is refreshing enough to break the monotony of finals, but still a quiet and productive atmosphere to get work done.

Now, go off and be free! If Carpenter, Canaday, or Park get you down, try expanding your horizons off campus to keep the finals momentum going!