Getting Involved On Campus Is Key To Survival

All the things you can get involved in on a college campus.
58

When you first start college, it can be hard to make friends. The best way to make friends and know more people is to get involved on-campus and there are many ways you can do that.

1. Greek Life

This is probably the most obvious way to get involved on-campus. Greek life organizations do a lot of events and community service and are very much present on-campus. You will easily meet a lot of people and be able to round out your resume at the same time.

2. Resident Assistant

While this isn't something you can do your freshmen year, it's something to look into for future years. You can help incoming freshmen navigate their first year of college and get to know others through the residence life program.

3. Peer Instructor/Tutor

If your university has a "college 101" class you could help teach that with a faculty adviser. Again this is not something you could do your freshmen year but it helps you get involved with freshmen, other students, and faculty. If your university doesn't have this class, become a tutor in your tutoring center. You can again help other students and interact with faculty.

4. Major/Minor Clubs

These are a great way to meet people with the same interests as yourself. I am a biology major that wants to attend medical school and I interact with the Pre-Med Association on my campus. Not only do I get to know people with the same interests but I also get to experience opportunities that I can add to my resume.

5. Living Learning Communities

Some campuses have special dorms for people in the honors college, STEM majors, or any other group of students that interact together. Getting involved in these again helps you to get to know other students like yourself and even interact with faculty and RAs that know what you are going through.

6. On-Campus Employment

I know this doesn't sound like the most fun thing to participate in but it does get you talking to people. Plus, you get paid and who doesn't need a little extra money.

7. Executive Positions

These are a great way to get leadership positions and get to know people. You will be involved heavily with event planning and recruitment.

No matter what you decide to do when you get to college you should choose something that works best for you and fits your needs concerning time and interests.